This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4425 / 51°26'32"N
Longitude: -3.3041 / 3°18'14"W
OS Eastings: 309460
OS Northings: 172305
OS Grid: ST094723
Mapcode National: GBR HR.NCML
Mapcode Global: VH6FJ.P03J
Plus Code: 9C3RCMRW+X9
Entry Name: Pompeian Garden at Dyffryn House
Listing Date: 14 September 1992
Last Amended: 31 July 1995
Source ID: 13471
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated to the W of the main lawn in the centre of the gardens and to the SW of Dyffryn House. Dyffryn is approximately 2km S of St. Nicholas.
County: Vale of Glamorgan
Community: St. Nicholas and Bonvilston (Sain Nicolas a Thresimwn)
Community: St. Nicholas and Bonvilston
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Dated 1909 over doorway at NW end. Dyffryn is principally known for its gardens which were laid out for Reginald Cory by Thomas Mawson, the internationally known and notably prolific garden designer; work began in 1904/5. Sold in 1937 and purchased by Sir Cennydd Traherne who leased it to the County Council; now run as a conference centre. Until c1985 Dyffryn was a Botanical Garden.
This was built at a time of great interest in Italian and Classical gardens resulting in a number of important publications; compare with the contemporary Pompeian Wall at Hever Castle, Kent built between 1905-1908 to designs by W.W. Astor and Frank Pearson.
Enclosed sunken garden in a strongly Italian Classical manner; constructed of pre-cast concrete. Rectangular plan, narrowed to SE end and bordered by a Doric colonnade, roofed at NW. end. At the opposite end there are paired columns where the garden narrows and benches leading up to the pedimented doorway of a small shelter facing down the length of this garden. Tall fountain to centre with fluted stem and circular bowl.
Undergoing repair at the time of inspection, March 1995.
Listed for its special interest to Dyffryn as an unusual example of an enclosed garden in this style which is designed to recall Ancient Rome.
Other nearby listed buildings