This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4425 / 51°26'33"N
Longitude: -3.3031 / 3°18'11"W
OS Eastings: 309530
OS Northings: 172307
OS Grid: ST095723
Mapcode National: GBR HR.NCW8
Mapcode Global: VH6FJ.P0NH
Entry Name: Lower South Terrace at Dyffryn Gardens(partly in St Nicholas and Bonvilston Community)
Listing Date: 10 October 2002
Last Amended: 10 October 2002
Source ID: 26988
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: Dividing the formal gardens extending south of the main house from the Great Lawn
County: Vale of Glamorgan
Community: Wenvoe (Gwenfô)
Locality: Dyffryn Gardens
Traditional County: Glamorgan
This part of the garden was laid out by Thomas Mawson, architect and garden designer, after 1906. Dyffryn House was bought by John Cory, wealthy philanthropist, ship and coal owner in 1891 and the present house was built for him 1893-4, architect E.A. Lansdowne of Newport. After Sir John's death in 1906 the property was inherited by his son Reginald during whose occupancy the great gardens were developed, although Sir John had initiated the project and commissioned the plan from Thomas Mawson. Reginald was also a talented horticulturalist and plant collector. To the SW of the house (in St Nicholas Community) the gardens are laid out in a series of compartments of different styles. Property sold in 1937 and purchased by Sir Cenydd Traherne who leased it to the County Council. Garden now open to the public. Present urns were added to the terrace balustrade in late C20.
Terrace, mainly of limestone, some reconstituted stone, comprising a low coursed rubble retaining wall with balustrade, either side of a central exedra. There are 6 sections of balustrading on each side and each section comprises 10 balusters between plinths topped by urns; plain end walls. At centre 5 shallow curved steps backed by a low wall with a pair of urns lead to the lawn below; in front is a small sundial on 3 wide octagonal steps on an octagonal shaft
Included as an prominent architectural feature in this outstanding garden. Group value with other listed items here.
Other nearby listed buildings