This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4413 / 51°26'28"N
Longitude: -3.3035 / 3°18'12"W
OS Eastings: 309497
OS Northings: 172170
OS Grid: ST094721
Mapcode National: GBR HR.NKR9
Mapcode Global: VH6FJ.P1FG
Entry Name: Vine Walk and Kiosks
Listing Date: 10 October 2002
Last Amended: 10 October 2002
Source ID: 26990
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: At the S end of the Great Lawn.
County: Vale of Glamorgan
Community: Wenvoe (Gwenfô)
Locality: Dyffryn Gardens
Traditional County: Glamorgan
The development of the main gardens, to a plan by Thomas Mawson, architect and garden designer, began in 1906. Dyffryn House was bought by John Cory, wealthy philanthropist, ship and coal owner in 1891 and the present house was built for him 1893-4, architect E.A. Lansdowne of Newport. After Sir John's death in 1906 the property was inherited by his son Reginald during whose occupancy the great gardens were developed, although Sir John had initiated the project and commissioned the plan from Thomas Mawson. Reginald was also a talented horticulturalist and plant collector. To the SW of the house (in St Nicholas Community) the gardens are laid out in a series of compartments of different styles. Property sold in 1937 and purchased by Sir Cenydd Traherne who leased it to the County Council. Garden now open to the public. The S end of the garden was the last to be developed and although long planned was only partially complete by the time of an aerial photograph of 1937.
Vine Walk or Pergola consists of 9 pairs of concrete piers on plinths on E side, 6 on W side with intersecting iron hoops arranged diagonally and supported by imposts. At each inner end is a small square open pavilion or kiosk comprising timber roof clad in pantiles with radiating timber struts in gable end supported by 4 concrete piers; 3-sided concrete balustrade on concrete plinth, flag floor. Steps to rear lead to lower lawns which are separated by a causeway.
Included as a prominent architectural feature in this outstanding garden. Group value with other listed items here.
Other nearby listed buildings