History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Mwyndy House

A Grade II Listed Building in Pont-y-clun, Rhondda Cynon Taff

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.525 / 51°31'30"N

Longitude: -3.3622 / 3°21'44"W

OS Eastings: 305590

OS Northings: 181556

OS Grid: ST055815

Mapcode National: GBR HP.H2ZG

Mapcode Global: VH6DX.NXWT

Entry Name: Mwyndy House

Listing Date: 11 March 1991

Last Amended: 15 August 2000

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 13533

Building Class: Domestic

Location: In its own grounds and reached by private drive E of the A4119, about 1.5km S of Llantrisant.

County: Rhondda Cynon Taff

Town: Pontyclun

Community: Pont-y-clun

Community: Pont-y-Clun

Locality: Mwyndy

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Llantrisant

History

Probably built in the first quarter of the C19 and first shown on the 1841 Tithe map, at which time it was a farmhouse. It is said later to have been occupied by industrialists associated with the Mwyndy iron ore works that operated immediately N from the 1850s to the 1880s, superseded by limestone workings. A 2-bay addition was made in the late C19 followed by another single-bay addition in 1908.

Exterior

A late Georgian 2-storey house comprising a 3-bay central range (the original house) with 2 higher bays on the L side and single bay to the R. The walls are rendered and painted cream, while the roof is slate, partly replaced, and with 3 rendered ridge stacks. A central pedimented doorcase has fluted pilasters and 3-panel door. The windows are sashes throughout, except the additional bay on the R which has a canted bay window below a 3-light casement, and a similar canted bay window lower L. Against the R gable end are stone steps to a boarded cellar door on the L side, and on the R side a gabled half-lit porch which has double doors with round-headed panels. The L gable end has, set back from the rear angle, the stub wall of a former conservatory and a raked buttress. The rear is mainly rubble stone and dominated by an integral full-height gabled projection flanked by outshuts. The rear windows are mainly altered, except on the R side where there is a hornless sash window above a blocked doorway. A raked buttress is set back from the R end.

Interior

Not inspected but said to retain some original detailing including a Regency-style room (W end) with tall timber chimneypiece having volute supports and gilt overmantel. Lounge with exposed timber bressumer over chimney and gothic doors to dining room with Tudor stone chimneypiece. Some original panelling to window splays and fielded doors upstairs.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a good example of a small country-house which had subsequent associations with the S Wales iron industry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.