History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Penallta Colliery Old Stores

A Grade II Listed Building in Gelligaer, Caerphilly

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6544 / 51°39'15"N

Longitude: -3.2463 / 3°14'46"W

OS Eastings: 313876

OS Northings: 195803

OS Grid: ST138958

Mapcode National: GBR HV.6VJN

Mapcode Global: VH6DD.PP43

Entry Name: Penallta Colliery Old Stores

Listing Date: 5 November 1991

Last Amended: 18 July 2001

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 13582

Building Class: Industrial

Location: Situated between Ystrad Mynach and Gelligaer, on the east side of Penalltau Road. The Old Stores are to the west of the main workshops.

County: Caerphilly

Town: Ystrad Mynach

Community: Gelligaer

Community: Gelligaer

Locality: Penalltau

Built-Up Area: Ystrad Mynach

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Treharris

History

Penallta Colliery was built between 1905 and 1909, at the height of the South Wales coal trade. It was established by the Powell Dyffryn Steam Coal Company, the region’s largest mining company, on the most modern principles as the ‘‘super-pit’’ of its day. The surface buildings were laid out in matching architectural style in a spacious, artificially levelled area, on a rectilinear plan giving the ideal spatial arrangement of activities. The design of the enormous engine hall in particular was an important innovation copied at many later collieries. The colliery became one of the largest in Wales with 3,200 miners and a high output of top-quality steam coal. By 1935, Penallta held the European record for coal produced in a single week.

Exterior

Colliery store for goods,equipment and oil. Built in the same style as the other original buildings of the colliery, in Pennant Sandstone with red brick dressings, which comprise pilasters dividing bays, end piers, stepped parapets, plinth, window and door surrounds incorporating keystones. Double-pitch roof construction of steel trusses formerly with raised ridge ventilator, slate above and glass below. The single storey gabled building is 6 bays long and 3 bays wide on a N/S axis. Windows have segmental-arched heads and some surviving metal multi-pane frames; arched and square-headed doorways, with parts of wrought iron cantilevered canopies on E and N for loading materials in and out of stores.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as an integral building within this exceptionally fine colliery complex. Group value with other listed items.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Penallta Colliery Workshops
    Situated between Ystrad Mynach and Gelligaer, on the east side of Penalltau Road. The Workshops are at centre of the colliery complex, west of the Engine Hall.
  • II Penallta Colliery Electricity Building
    Situated between the Baths building and the Lamp room, close to the rear of the latter and set slightly higher in the slope.
  • II* Penallta Colliery Baths Building
    Situated between Ystrad Mynach and Gelligaer, on the east side of Penalltau Road. The Baths Building faces Penalltau Road, on the west of the complex.
  • II Penallta Colliery Lamp Room
    Situated between Ystrad Mynach and Gelligaer, on the east side of Penalltau Road. The Lamproom is immediately to the south of the Workshops.
  • II* Penallta Colliery No.1 Headframe
    Situated between Ystrad Mynach and Gelligaer, on the east side of Penalltau Road. The western of the two headframes, at the centre of the complex.
  • II Penallta Colliery Pit-top Offices
    Situated between Ystrad Mynach and Gelligaer, on the east side of Penalltau Road. The Pit Top Offices are to the east of the baths building.
  • II* Penallta Colliery Engine Hall and Fan House
    Situated between Ystrad Mynach and Gelligaer, on the east side of Penalltau Road. The Engine Hall is at the north side of the colliery complex.
  • II* Penallta Colliery No.2 Headframe
    Situated between Ystrad Mynach and Gelligaer, on the east side of Penalltau Road. The eastern of the two headframes, at the east of the complex.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.