This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6538 / 51°39'13"N
Longitude: -3.2456 / 3°14'44"W
OS Eastings: 313927
OS Northings: 195731
OS Grid: ST139957
Mapcode National: GBR HV.729Z
Mapcode Global: VH6DD.PPKL
Plus Code: 9C3RMQ33+GQ
Entry Name: Penallta Colliery Lamp Room
Listing Date: 5 November 1991
Last Amended: 18 July 2001
Source ID: 13583
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: Situated between Ystrad Mynach and Gelligaer, on the east side of Penalltau Road. The Lamproom is immediately to the south of the Workshops.
Town: Ystrad Mynach
Built-Up Area: Ystrad Mynach
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Penallta Colliery was built between 1905 and 1909, at the height of the South Wales coal trade. It was established by the Powell Dyffryn Steam Coal Company, the region’s largest mining company, on the most modern principles as the ‘‘super-pit’’ of its day. The surface buildings were laid out in matching architectural style in a spacious, artificially levelled area, on a rectilinear plan giving the ideal spatial arrangement of activities. The design of the enormous engine hall in particular was an important innovation copied at many later collieries. The colliery became one of the largest in Wales with 3,200 miners and high output of top-quality steam coal. By 1935, Penallta held the European record for coal produced in a single week.
Lamproom built to store and distribute lamps to the miners for every shift. It matches the other original buildings of the colliery in style, of Pennant sandstone with red brick dressings, which comprise end piers, stepped parapets/cornice, plinth, dentilled window surrounds. Roof formerly of slates has a corrugated covering. Single storey gabled building 6 bays long 3 bays wide on N/S axis. Windows have segmental arched heads, formerly with metal multi-pane frames, now blocked; between them are 5 small openings with painted brick surrounds on each side of the building ; these were for passing out lamps to waiting miners and formerly had small metal doors though none now remain in situ.
Building divided into several offices and the main lamp room.
Listed for its rarity as a surviving purpose-built lamproom. Group value with other items within this exceptionally fine colliery complex.
Other nearby listed buildings