This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4307 / 51°25'50"N
Longitude: -3.3955 / 3°23'43"W
OS Eastings: 303085
OS Northings: 171113
OS Grid: ST030711
Mapcode National: GBR HN.P0M7
Mapcode Global: VH6FH.399K
Plus Code: 9C3RCJJ3+7R
Entry Name: Treguff Farmhouse
Listing Date: 14 February 1952
Last Amended: 8 September 1995
Source ID: 13593
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Set on high ground, on a platform site, E of the Nant Treguff and 2km NW of Llancarfan. Large farmyard below. Stone stile to front courtyard which has rubble boundary wall.
County: Vale of Glamorgan
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Mainly late C16 but incorporating an early C17 storeyed addition. Minor C19 additions and some modern window replacement. In 1107 Treguff was granted to the Abbey of St. Peter, Gloucester and after dissolution passed to the Dean and Chapter of the new College of Gloucester; until this century it has been owned by the Dean and Chapter of Gloucester cathedral. Treguff was the home of the Bassets who are known to have leased it by 1552 and who also owned Beaupre. Recent restoration has revealed a blocked arch immured within the end wall of the ground floor parlour and it has been suggested that the house may incorporate fragments of a medieval chapel.
Treguff is fully described by the RCAHMW in the Inventory of Glamorgan.
This gentry farmhouse has whitewashed elevations and is mostly 2-storeyed with attic, but is 3-storeyed to W wing. It is constructed of local limestone with sandstone dressings including quoins, but now over painted. Slate roof ( formerly stone tiled) with large stone chimney stacks, some rebuilt. The W wing has battered walls. The main front is to the S, a 5-bay elevation with modern render. At the time of inspection (May 1995), the modern fenestration was being replaced including sunk-chamfered surrounds, with stone mullion and transomed windows. Hoodmoulds above survive. It is distinctive for its off-centre, two-storey porch with half glazed doors and painted over sundial set into the gable over a broad Tudor label; the inner doorway has broach stops. The rear (N) side has the re-capped lateral chimneybreasts of the hall and parlour and deep lean-tos. Downhill gable end to the W has further chimney breast; mono-pitch roof extension (C19?) to the S side of this end has created a small courtyard by the back door.
The 3-unit plan form comprises a hall flanked by both a kitchen and a parlour and with wings to N and S of the kitchen. In the hall the lintel of the fireplace has been altered but retains the hour glass stops; to left of this is a 4-centred arch dressed stone doorway, with diagonal stops, leading to the staircase. The S wall retains an early window seat. Deeply chamfered ceiling beam with broach stops and the ceiling itself has reeded plaster border. The hall floor is made of lime and aggregate and is known as an "ox-blood" floor on account of its red colour. To the E the parlour is stepped up and has been altered in the C19 with ceiling beam re-used axially; the alcove to the N wall probably represents a former fireplace and a blocked doorway may indicate a former mural stair. One of the finest features of the house is the corbelled or cross slab roofed stairs that rise beside the hall fireplace; stone steps, now boarded. At the top of the stairs is a 2-light, sunk chamfered window. From here there is access to the chamber over the hall which now has C19 passage along the N side; plaster ceiling with stop-chamfered beams. The window here has unusual plaster decoration to the window reveals with a Tudor rose beneath a fleur-de-lis and the "ER" monogram. The chamber over the parlour has been altered in much the same way as the parlour itself e.g. chimney removed creating an alcove. The chamber over the kitchen has been narrowed by the C19 insertion of a timber staircase but retains broach stop chamfered beams; at the SW corner is an opening into a long narrow space that is known as the 'wig-cupboard' but more likely originated as a latrine. The chamber in the N wing has similar plaster decoration to that found in the room over the hall but here placed on the wall not in the window reveals. The W wing is 3-storeys, the upper chamber of which has a coved ceiling and, above the fireplace, another example of the "ER" monogrammed plaster decoration. The original roof structure is retained with collared trusses and two rows of purlins.
Listed grade II* for its surviving late C16 interiors, in particular the staircase and ornamental plasterwork.
Other nearby listed buildings