History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stable Block at Fonmon Castle

A Grade II Listed Building in Rhoose, Vale of Glamorgan

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4033 / 51°24'11"N

Longitude: -3.3713 / 3°22'16"W

OS Eastings: 304706

OS Northings: 168032

OS Grid: ST047680

Mapcode National: GBR HP.QSSV

Mapcode Global: VH6FH.JZ2M

Entry Name: Stable Block at Fonmon Castle

Listing Date: 28 January 1963

Last Amended: 30 September 2004

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 13616

Building Class: Domestic

Location: About 50m south-west of Fonmon Castle.

County: Vale of Glamorgan

Town: Barry

Community: Rhoose (Y Rhws)

Community: Rhoose

Locality: Fonmon

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
East Aberthaw

History

This building is said to be of c1500 and in origin a barn but the evidence for this early date is now largely hidden. It is shown on the 1622 estate map. It was converted into a stable block in the mid C18, presumably contemporary with the Thomas Paty work to the house in the 1760s, and appears to have seen little alteration since apart from a limited amount in the Victorian period. The castellated parapet and the medieval chimney from East Orchard look appropriate for the 1760s (East Orchard was bought by Oliver Jones in 1767), but the still gabled roofline is clearly shown on the Jeston Homfray engraving of 1828, so these changes are probably Victorian also. The 1841 Tithe Map shows an additional large north wing, now gone. The building has had mixed uses, starting as a barn, then part living accommodation for estate workers, before becoming stables and hayloft.

Exterior

Built of local random limestone rubble with dressed quoins, with the probably mid C18 work rather more carefully coursed. The yard front is rendered where the Welsh slate roof is also visible. Decorative front to the the south to provide a feature congenial with the castle for the main approach. This is in two storeys with two small Victorian arched windows on the left and three 2-light C17 type windows above with diamond panes and an additional single light one of late date. The Victorian windows are set into blocked doorways, partially obscured by vegetation The continuous gutter beneath the upper windows gives away the pre-1760 roofline and there must have been gables over the windows (see History). Castellated parapet rises above and, in the centre, a medieval chimney which is said to come from the nearby East Orchard castle (qv St. Athan Community). This heightening is also clear on the gable walls and from the rear. The west gable has a later doorway and a chimney. The yard front has a single storey and a steeply pitched roof above. A doorway with a fanlight and two other fanlights on the left with 12 over 12 pane sashes between, which are probably early C19. Taking-in door for the hayloft above and a large eaves stack for the tackroom, this is probably a Victorian addition. To the right a 2-centred arch door. Smaller wings on either side, the one to the right, which has a straight joint with the main block, has been much changed on both sides and truncated. Various openings, blocked semicircular arch, which has lost its head, in the outside wall; this could well be one of the missing doorways from the south elevation of the barn/stable-block.

Interior

Partly two storeyed with a hayloft over. Two sections of looseboxes, one of which may be late C18 and the other is probably Victorian, as is the tack-room. The upper floor is featureless apart from the roof which is in two sections with a stone wall between dividing the accommodation off from the hayloft. Four 6-bay principal rafter roof with scarf jointed collars, two tiers of purlins and a ridge-piece. Most of this appears original and is said to suggest a date of c1500.

Reasons for Listing

Included as an earlier agricultural building converted into an unusual castellated stable block in the late C18 and which retains much of its character. The medieval chimney reused from East Orchard is especially notable.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.