This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4804 / 51°28'49"N
Longitude: -3.1719 / 3°10'18"W
OS Eastings: 318718
OS Northings: 176371
OS Grid: ST187763
Mapcode National: GBR KKM.R8
Mapcode Global: VH6FD.Z11X
Plus Code: 9C3RFRJH+57
Entry Name: Former Welsh Presbyterian Chapel
Listing Date: 19 May 1975
Last Amended: 30 April 1999
Source ID: 13676
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Near corner with Bridge Street.
Community: Castle (Castell)
Built-Up Area: Cardiff
Traditional County: Glamorgan
1877; designed by Henry C Harris as Welsh Calvinistic Methodist chapel. Early French Gothic style showing influence of Burges. Converted to use as architects' offices by Wigley Fox Partnership, early 1980s.
Former chapel over lower hall. Early French Gothic style. T-shaped plan with vestibules and staircases in angles between arms of "T". Dark rock-faced stone with pale ashlar dressings. Each wing of "T" gabled wing to street flanked by angle buttresses of dark faceted stone with ashlar dressings which in upper stages rise to form octagonal buttresses with pinnacles. In apex of gable, plain triple opening; below; 2 large windows of 3-lights with hexafoils over; group of 4 windows below this. Lateral lights of steps lead up to entrances to vestibules and staircase towers which have rounded ends with stepped small lancet windows to street with continuous glazed panel, transomed and mullioned above and peaked slate roof. Side windows (not meant to be easily visible) have red brick dressings.
Interior converted to use as architects' offices. Red brick walls and cream and black diaper work; timber roofs.
As one of the best Welsh language chapels built in the Gothic style.
Other nearby listed buildings