This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.465 / 51°27'54"N
Longitude: -3.1675 / 3°10'3"W
OS Eastings: 318991
OS Northings: 174652
OS Grid: ST189746
Mapcode National: GBR KLS.QS
Mapcode Global: VH6FF.1FTR
Entry Name: Kilsby and Williams
Listing Date: 20 August 1992
Last Amended: 21 August 1998
Source ID: 13997
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Stepped up from Perch Buildings to left.
Built-Up Area: Cardiff
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Late Victorian facade, 1888-90, by J P Jones, architect
Portland stone ashlar with balustraded parapet, cornice and entablature; cornice of Crichton House overlaps to right. Horned 12-pane sash windows to 1st and 2nd floors and 3-light metal-frame windows to ground floor; architraves to 1st floor windows. Channelled ground floor with modillion cornice and applied modern fascia; windows flanked at top by deep apron panels to entablature; high sills over pierced panels and squre ventilator panels to base. Panelled double doors up steps.
Ground floor has former banking hall with egg and dart cornices, and floor with white marble tiles. Basement with strongroom, safe door by Chatwood of Bolton. Upper floors with simple cornices and panelled doors to offices, some cast-iron fireplaces.
As good late Victorian commercial building and for group value with other buildings in the square.
Other nearby listed buildings