History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Point (Formerly St Stephen's Church)

A Grade II Listed Building in Butetown, Cardiff

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4655 / 51°27'55"N

Longitude: -3.1671 / 3°10'1"W

OS Eastings: 319025

OS Northings: 174705

OS Grid: ST190747

Mapcode National: GBR KLS.TM

Mapcode Global: VH6FF.2F1D

Entry Name: The Point (Formerly St Stephen's Church)

Listing Date: 19 May 1975

Last Amended: 21 August 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 14014

Building Class: Recreational

Location: On compact site on the southern side of this north-eastern arm of Mount Stuart Square; on the corner with West Bute Street.

County: Cardiff

Community: Butetown

Community: Butetown

Built-Up Area: Cardiff

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Penarth

History

Built in 1900-02 by Col E M Bruce Vaughan, architect, of Cardiff; replaced a temporary cast-iron church erected in 1878 by James Seward and Thomas. Foundation stones laid April 5th 1900. Enlarged in 1912 again by Bruce Vaughan. St Stephen's was a Chapel of Ease to St Mary's Church.

Exterior

Gothic - C13 style. Design dominated by bell-tower set close to NE corner with shingled octagonal spire, polygonal vice and machicolated style parapet. Single-naved church with transverse-gables on N side forming aisle. Snecked rubble with buttresses and freestone dressings including gable parapets with finials; slate roof and cresting. Gabled porches with boarded doors to E and W ends on N side, the main one being that to E with cusped arch surround to 2-order, dog-tooth moulded entrance; chimney stack to corner by simply chamfered W porch. 1-bay added to E end, beyond tower, in similar manner. 3-light windows to gables, with sexfoil oculi and stopped labels; sexfoil clerestory roundels behind the gables. 5-light windows to W and E ends with stepped-up central lights. Gable end set back to left at E end with 2-light window and similar 2-order arch entrance.

Interior

Converted for theatre use, with cafe/bar, box office, storage etc. Nave formerly of 6 bays, pointed arches, visible shafts round with dogtooth capitals. Masonry painted dark blue. Arch-braced roof. Aisle bays with transverse roofing. Windows obscured except at E end where 5-light window lights cafe/bar inserted at first floor level. At foot of stairs to cafe/bar, triple sedilia in C14 style.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for value of exterior to prominent corner site at entrance to prominent corner site at entrance to Mount Stuart Square, and group value with neighbouring listed buildings.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.