This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6156 / 51°36'56"N
Longitude: -3.8016 / 3°48'5"W
OS Eastings: 275358
OS Northings: 192286
OS Grid: SS753922
Mapcode National: GBR H3.9DGJ
Mapcode Global: VH5GV.2N2C
Plus Code: 9C3RJ58X+69
Entry Name: Old church of St Baglan
Listing Date: 12 November 1952
Last Amended: 31 January 2000
Source ID: 14146
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: On the NE side of the churchyard of St Catharine.
County: Neath Port Talbot
Built-Up Area: Port Talbot
Traditional County: Glamorgan
St Baglan was a pre-Norman foundation although the earliest discernible features of the present building are late medieval. Photographs of the interior show it to have had a ceiled wagon roof and box pews, which were installed in 1824. The surviving openings in the nave also appear to belong to this date. The church was replaced by St Catharine in 1882 and was gutted by fire in 1954.
Rubble-stone single-cell church now roofless and overgrown. The E window is 3-light Perpendicular. The chancel S wall has a 3-light flat-headed Tudor window with plain lights but with a hood mould and head stops. The nave S wall has 2 early C19 windows with rounded heads and thin voussoirs. The openings to the W side are also early C19 and comprise a round-headed doorway with window above. A gabled double bellcote stands on the apex. Window details are not visible on the N side where the wall does not survive to its full height. Traces of plaster can be seen on the interior walls but the interior is inaccessible.
Listed for architectural interest as a substantial fragment of a pre Victorian church, and for group value with St Catharine's church and its churchyard wall.
Scheduled Ancient Monument Gm 428.
Other nearby listed buildings