History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Vicarage

A Grade II Listed Building in Port Talbot, Neath Port Talbot

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6161 / 51°36'58"N

Longitude: -3.8052 / 3°48'18"W

OS Eastings: 275113

OS Northings: 192353

OS Grid: SS751923

Mapcode National: GBR H2.9KKM

Mapcode Global: VH5GV.0M6Y

Plus Code: 9C3RJ58V+CW

Entry Name: The Vicarage

Listing Date: 31 January 2000

Last Amended: 31 January 2000

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 22811

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Approximately 200m NW of St Catharine's church and set back from the road.

County: Neath Port Talbot

Community: Baglan

Community: Baglan

Built-Up Area: Port Talbot

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Port Talbot

History

Originally known as Greenfield, a farm of that name is first recorded in 1795 and the present main range probably dates from that time. In 1829 it was occupied by the ironmaster John Reynolds of the Oakwood Ironworks near Pontrhydyfen. Later occupants included an agent of the English Copper Company at Cwmavon, David Smith, the founder of the Vernon Tinplate Works, and Richard Phillips, manager of the Melyn Tinplate Works. Originally consisting of a main range, the extant additions to the house are all shown on the 1881 Ordnance Survey. The house became a vicarage in the 1890s when, after the completion of St Catharine's church, Baglan became a parish separate from Aberavon.

Exterior

The main house is Georgian, of 2 storeys and attic and of 3 bays, with roughcast walls and slate roof with roughcast end stacks. The central bay projects forward under a hipped roof and has chamfered angles. A fielded-panel door is on the R return wall of the central bay. Otherwise the front has hornless sash windows, except upper R where the 12-pane window is replaced. Gabled roof dormers have 2-light small-pane windows. A lower 2-storey 1-bay wing on the R side is late C19 and has canted bay windows with sashes and a roughcast end stack. A 1-storey wing set back on the L side has a doorway with margin lights framing a half-lit door and beneath a blind round-headed arch.

Behind the main range is a lower 2-storey projection with an added 1-storey gabled projection on its L side. An outshut is against the single-storey wing.

Interior

The lower storey of the central bay to the front is a porch. It has a half-lit panelled front door to a central stair hall. The stair, placed towards the rear, has winders at the bottom, turned balusters with wreathed handrail, while beneath it are stone steps to a cellar.

Reasons for Listing

Listed primarily for its architectural interest as a small Georgian house retaining original character and detail.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.