This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5503 / 51°33'0"N
Longitude: -3.7277 / 3°43'39"W
OS Eastings: 280304
OS Northings: 184901
OS Grid: SS803849
Mapcode National: GBR H6.FF34
Mapcode Global: VH5H8.B9ND
Plus Code: 9C3RH72C+4W
Entry Name: Barn at Eglwys Nunydd
Listing Date: 12 November 1952
Last Amended: 25 April 2000
Source ID: 14157
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Located on a farm track which leads E off the street and curves round to the N. Further N and set apart from the farm house and associated farm buildings.
County: Neath Port Talbot
Town: Port Talbot
Locality: Water Street
Traditional County: Glamorgan
The barn is C17, but the N and W walls are substantially medieval in date and probably relate to a monastic grange on the site. Eglwys Nunydd was purchased by Sir Rice Mansel of the Margam estate in 1543, following the dissolution of the monasteries.
Large symmetrical 7-bay rubble stone barn with massive battered walls. Corrugated asbestos roof coverings. Central cart-passage with gabled porch to S with slate roof. Full-height entrance with timber lintel and blocked ventilation slit to gable apex. Ventilation slits immediately R of porch and to far L. The E gable end has 2 ventilation slits and another in the gable apex. Central doorway to N with timber lintel and red brick jambs. The W gable end has a central square opening for a former loft hatch. Two socket holes flanking and below the hatch, which probably supported the former loft. Two ventilation slits to ground floor adjacent to exterior walls.
Simple tie beam trusses with 3 purlins to each side. The jambs of the porch project inwards slightly and support the central pair of tie beams. Earth floor. The ventilation slits have splayed openings; there were originally 2 on each side of the front porch. Blocked square opening in E gable which would have matched that at W end.
Listed as an exceptionally fine C17 barn incorporating medieval fabric.
Other nearby listed buildings