This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5527 / 51°33'9"N
Longitude: -3.7111 / 3°42'39"W
OS Eastings: 281463
OS Northings: 185145
OS Grid: SS814851
Mapcode National: GBR H6.FK7R
Mapcode Global: VH5H8.M7GJ
Entry Name: Piers and Gates at East Lodge and Flanking Walls
Listing Date: 24 February 1975
Last Amended: 25 April 2000
Source ID: 14168
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located near the SE corner of Margam park on a narrow lane which leads up to Graig Goch and Ton Mawr. Flanked by lodges.
County: Neath Port Talbot
Town: Port Talbot
Locality: Margam Park
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Originally the main entrance to Margam Castle, probably designed by Thomas Hopper for C R M Talbot in 1830-5. The two flanking lodges, now altered, are in a different style and may be by Edward Haycock, c1840. The iron gates and screens were replaced after 1920. The original gates were in Tudor-Gothic style with quatrefoil bands and Tudor rose finials.
The park wall bounds the whole of Margam Park. Some sections, particularly to the W, may date back to at least the C17 and are shown in two unattributed paintings. The park was enlarged considerably to the E and N, probably in the late C18, by Thomas Mansel Talbot who intended to create a 'pleasure park'. Existing sections may have been repaired or renewed at this time.
Large octagonal gate piers of dressed stone. On plinths with moulded top edges. At the level of the top of the gates is a frieze of blind quatrefoils between moulded bands. From this point the piers narrow slightly and are faced with 2 tiers of blind trefoil-headed arches. Domed cap stones with moulded tracery and scrolls, supporting lions couchant which face into the park. Double cast iron gates in plain style. The top rails curve up elegantly towards the centre. Single rail lock bar. In place of dog rails is a frieze of diagonal crosses with a boss in the centre of each cross. The gate piers are flanked by iron screens on a low plinth with moulded coping. The screens have Gothic decoration below the top rails, and a diamond frieze above with Tudor rose finials (missing from N section). The screens are flanked by plainer octagonal piers with flat cap stones with embattled tops. Snecked stone walls run E from these piers to the lodges.
From the lodges runs the extensive boundary wall of the park, particularly well preserved to the E and N. Rubble dry-stone wall with narrow saddleback coping resting on projecting flat stones. In some areas the coping is missing, whilst to the S along the A48, some sections have been rebuilt.
Listed as an entrance exhibiting significant architectural character. The park wall is an encompassing and prominent structure which confers considerable character to Margam Park. Group value with Margam Castle.
Other nearby listed buildings