This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3156 / 53°18'56"N
Longitude: -3.4781 / 3°28'41"W
OS Eastings: 301625
OS Northings: 380870
OS Grid: SJ016808
Mapcode National: GBR 4Z43.S5
Mapcode Global: WH653.JXZK
Plus Code: 9C5R8G8C+6Q
Entry Name: Bethel Calvinistic Methodist Church
Listing Date: 14 February 1994
Last Amended: 14 February 1994
Source ID: 14314
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Towards the S edge of the town, approximately 80 metres N of the junction with Cefndy Road.
Community: Rhyl (Y Rhyl)
Built-Up Area: Rhyl
Traditional County: Flintshire
The church was founded in 1826, and the earliest building may also have been on this site. The present chapel was built in 1842, and the Schoolroom and Manse which adjoin it to the north were added c1880-90.
Coursed and squared stone to chapel, roughcast render to hall and manse, and slate roofs. Chapel has wide pedimented gable facing the street with the original entrances set to either side. These were blocked, probably when the schoolroom and porch was added to the N, but the radial fanlights remain as windows. Paired tall central round arched windows, and similar windows in W gable. Blind S elevation. Gabled porch provides present entrance to chapel and school-room/hall, against N wall of chapel. The hall is a single storeyed, 3-window range, with 12-pane sashes with flat arched heads. Beyond it, and balancing the chapel with a gable facing the street, is the former manse. Doorway to the right, with 12-pane sash window on each floor at centre of gable. Side wall stack.
Interior largely of 1842 with some alterations. Box pews (those now blocking the former doorway contemporary but reused); low pulpit and tall reredos-panel both with neo-gothic tracery. Set fawr altered in the later C19, probably when school-room was added. Flat plaster ceiling with decorative roses.
A good example of an early C19 chapel which is one of the few buildings to pre-date the expansion of Rhyl as a resort, and which retains much of its original character including interior fittings.
Other nearby listed buildings