History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Manse

A Grade II Listed Building in Rhyl, Denbighshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3157 / 53°18'56"N

Longitude: -3.4784 / 3°28'42"W

OS Eastings: 301608

OS Northings: 380881

OS Grid: SJ016808

Mapcode National: GBR 4Z43.R4

Mapcode Global: WH653.JXVH

Entry Name: Manse

Listing Date: 14 February 1994

Last Amended: 14 February 1994

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 14316

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Towards the S edge of the town, approximately 80 metres N of the junction with Cefndy Road.

County: Denbighshire

Community: Rhyl (Y Rhyl)

Community: Rhyl

Built-Up Area: Rhyl

Traditional County: Flintshire

Find accommodation in
Rhyl

History

The church was founded in 1826, and the earliest building may also have been on this site. The present chapel was built in 1842, and the Schoolroom and Manse which adjoin it to the north were added c1880-90.

Exterior

Coursed and squared stone to chapel, roughcast render to hall and manse, and slate roofs. Chapel has wide pedimented gable facing the street with the original entrances set to either side. These were blocked, probably when the schoolroom and porch was added to the N, but the radial fanlights remain as windows. Paired tall central round arched windows, and similar windows in W gable. Blind S elevation. Gabled porch provides present entrance to chapel and school-room/hall, against N wall of chapel. The hall is a single storeyed, 3-window range, with 12-pane sashes with flat arched heads. Beyond it, and balancing the chapel with a gable facing the street, is the former manse. Doorway to the right, with 12-pane sash window on each floor at centre of gable. Side wall stack.

Interior

Interior largely of 1842 with some alterations. Box pews (those now blocking the former doorway contemporary but reused); low pulpit and tall reredos-panel both with neo- gothic tracery. Set fawr altered in the later C19, probably when school-room was added. Flat plaster ceiling with decorative roses.

Reasons for Listing

A good example of an early C19 chapel which is one of the few buildings to pre-date the expansion of Rhyl as a resort, and which retains much of its original character including interior fittings.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Former Schoolroom
    Towards the S edge of the town, approximately 80 metres N of the junction with Cefndy Road.
  • II Bethel Calvinistic Methodist Church
    Towards the S edge of the town, approximately 80 metres N of the junction with Cefndy Road.
  • II Ty'n Rhyl
    Set back from the road in a walled garden almost opposite the Bethel Calvinistic Methodist Church.
  • II Pendyffryn
    At a bend in the road towards its junction with Madryn Avenue and Rhuddlan Road. Set back from the road in a walled garden.
  • II Plas Penyddeuglawdd
    Near to N end of the road, abutting the pavement but with larger grounds to the side and rear.
  • II Plas Penyddeuglawdd
    Near to N end of the road, abutting the pavement but with larger grounds to the side and rear.
  • II Rhyl No.1 Signal Box
    Sited approximately 100 metres to E of the long up-platform at Rhyl Railway Station; set back slightly from the trackside with large yard to the rear reached from Morley Road.
  • II English Methodist Church with former Sunday School
    On the corner with Morley Road.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.