History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Piers and Lodges (formerly listed with Dockyard Wall)

A Grade II* Listed Building in Pembroke Dock, Pembrokeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6934 / 51°41'36"N

Longitude: -4.9528 / 4°57'10"W

OS Eastings: 196014

OS Northings: 203529

OS Grid: SM960035

Mapcode National: GBR G7.WHHC

Mapcode Global: VH1S0.3PHQ

Entry Name: Piers and Lodges (formerly listed with Dockyard Wall)

Listing Date: 18 January 1974

Last Amended: 18 February 1994

Grade: II*

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 14378

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Situated at N end of Melville Terrace and across the main south entry to former Royal Dockyard.

County: Pembrokeshire

Community: Pembroke Dock (Doc Penfro)

Community: Pembroke Dock

Locality: The Dockyard

Built-Up Area: Pembroke Dock

Traditional County: Pembrokeshire

Find accommodation in
Pembroke Dock

History

1817-8 formal dockyard entry, designed by Edward Holl.

Exterior

Main gateway flanked by tall grey limestone ashlar gatepiers and screen walls, with lodges to outer sides adjoining the main walls. The E Lodge is attached to No 1 The Terrace built 1818, the W lodge to the Port Hotel, which was not built until 1832-4. Both lodges were planned in 1817, but the W side may not have been built until 1832-4.

Gatepiers and Screen Walls: Monumental panelled piers with cornices and square pyramidal caps, short screen wall each side linking to corniced end walls of each lodge, which had big arched doorway, that to east now window and blocked, that to west with C20 glazing.
The gatepiers originally had anchors on top, with chain across carrying a lamp, and iron gates. Since 1981, main gates have been removed and in 1990 and 1993 the tops of both piers were knocked off. Pedestrian entry to right of east gatepier was inserted c1900, with iron gate.
Inset in roadway in front are two cannon bollards.

Pair of Lodges: Single storey with finely detailed 3-bay colonnades in limestone ashlar with full entablature concealing roofs. N elevations have narrow side bays flanking centre bay, and pilasters against adjoining side walls. Rendered walls between columns. W lodge has c1900 triple casements set high, E lodge has boarded window in N wall, window, door and window facing roadway. Door with lattice-glazed overlight.
Part of an outstanding formal composition with matching Captain Superintendent's House (Port Hotel) and Fleet Surgeon's House (No 1 The Terrace).

The gatepiers, screen walls and E lodge are in deteriorating condition.

Reasons for Listing

Grade II* as part of an important late Georgian formal group at the Dockyard.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.