This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6932 / 51°41'35"N
Longitude: -4.9532 / 4°57'11"W
OS Eastings: 195991
OS Northings: 203507
OS Grid: SM959035
Mapcode National: GBR G7.WHF7
Mapcode Global: VH1S0.3P9W
Plus Code: 9C3QM2VW+7P
Entry Name: Long Stable Range to South
Listing Date: 18 January 1974
Last Amended: 18 February 1994
Source ID: 14380
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated to west of Dockyard gates and abutting the W entrance lodge.
Community: Pembroke Dock (Doc Penfro)
Community: Pembroke Dock
Locality: The Dockyard
Built-Up Area: Pembroke Dock
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Edward Holl planned a house for the civilian Master of the yard 1817-18; but this was not built until the Navy Board was combined with the Admiralty Board in 1832, and then to a different plan (though based on Holl's design for No 1 The Terrace) to form a symmetrical composition. The first Captin-Superintendent was appointed in 1832. A date of 1834 was said to have been found on a removed wooden porch.
1832-4 house built for the Captain-Superintendent of the Royal Dockyard, designed to match No 1, The Terrace, opposite. Tooled squared limestone with hipped slate roof and two stone ridge stacks. Basement and three-storey four-window range with cornice and low parapet. Plinth and first-floor sill band. Upper windows are one 12-pane sash, two casement pairs and one blind recess; first-floor has 12-pane sashes, with one inserted window between first two, and ground floor has recessed arched openings, three small-paned windows and C20 door with fanlight in third bay. Three-window end walls, those on E wall above lodge (listed separately) are mostly blind with one 12-pane sash, those on W wall including exposed basement storey make a four-storey elevation, with arched openings to former ground floor. Fenestration variously altered. Three storey SW service wing in rubble stone with square stone for upper floor and S end stack.
Stable Range: Long rubble stone two-storey stable range attached to service wing. Three ridge stacks and various 12-pane sashes over some nine bays, stable entry was towards right end, with loft over. A coach house, added after 1858, is in short W return with big ashlar arch facing N and two 12-pane sashes over. Previously coach-house was in S gable end.
Mostly altered, some plain plasterwork in NW ground floor room. No apparent evidence of the structural ironwork used in the earlier Nos 1-3 The Terrace.
Grade II* as part of an important late Georgian formal group at the Dockyard.
Other nearby listed buildings