This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9193 / 52°55'9"N
Longitude: -4.1064 / 4°6'22"W
OS Eastings: 258478
OS Northings: 337844
OS Grid: SH584378
Mapcode National: GBR 5Q.N4ZB
Mapcode Global: WH55L.WWRC
Entry Name: Former Erecting Shop at Boston Lodge
Listing Date: 8 March 1994
Last Amended: 23 August 2002
Source ID: 14411
Building Class: Commercial
Location: The railway works known as Boston Lodge is a large complex at south-east end of The Cob, facing Porthmadoc across the Traeth Mawr. This range is in front of the siding at the entrance to the works, at
Locality: Boston Lodge
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Boston Lodge was originally one of the two barracks built for the workforce constructing The Cob in 1808-11, William Madocks' major engineering project. It was widened in 1836 by the addition of the lower Cob to carry the new road and the original embankment was then converted to carry the new Ffestiniog Railway which was built as a narrow-gauge slate railway to connect the quarries at Blaenau Ffestiniog with the harbour at Porthmadoc. Boston Lodge was used to provide stabling for the horse-drawn railway but following introduction of steam locomotives in 1863, which in itself was a technological achievement given the gradients on this line, it was enlarged and converted into a locomotive works and yard; it was most unusual for such a small railway to be building its own carriages and locomotives. Boston Lodge retains this use because although the line was closed in 1946 it reopened in 1954 as a private steam railway. It is widely recognised as one of the world's historic railways and is believed to be the oldest surviving railway company. The name of the works derives from the fact that Madocks was MP for Boston, Lincolnshire.
This range was built c1900 to replace a corrugated iron structure of 1878 (see old photographs) which was put up for the building of the renowned Fairlie locomotives.
Single-storey range of slatey rubble with slate roof, now with roof-lights; old photographs show that there was formerly a chimney. To the centre are 2 full-height, half-glazed door entrances through which run railway tracks. At the extreme right hand end is the carriage works, the front part of which is modern; lower part-glazed entrance to the left section with tall iron framed flanking windows.
The interior has a wide aisled roof and retains line shafting for belt drives.
Listed as part of this especially complete example of a C19 railway engineering works which has important historical associations with the Ffestiniog Railway.
Group value with other listed items at Boston Lodge.
Other nearby listed buildings