This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9198 / 52°55'11"N
Longitude: -4.1062 / 4°6'22"W
OS Eastings: 258488
OS Northings: 337892
OS Grid: SH584378
Mapcode National: GBR 5Q.N50K
Mapcode Global: WH55L.WWT0
Entry Name: Former Brass Foundry at Boston Lodge Railway Works
Listing Date: 3 August 1994
Last Amended: 23 August 2002
Source ID: 14417
Building Class: Industrial
Location: The railway yard known as Boston Lodge is a large complex at the south-east end of The Cob, facing Porthmadoc across the Traeth Mawr. This building is opposite the smithy which is at the north end of
Locality: Boston Lodge
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Boston Lodge was originally one of the two barracks built for the workforce constructing The Cob in 1808-11, William Madocks' major engineering project. It was widened in 1836 by the addition of the lower Cob to carry the new road and the original embankment was then converted to carry the new Ffestiniog Railway which was built as a narrow-gauge slate railway to connect the quarries at Blaenau Ffestiniog with the harbour at Porthmadoc. Boston Lodge was used to provide stabling for the horse-drawn railway but following introduction of steam locomotives in 1863, which in itself was a technological achievement given the gradients on this line, it was enlarged and converted into a locomotive works and yard; it was most unusual for such a small railway to be building its own carriages and locomotives. Boston Lodge retains this use because although the line was closed in 1946 it reopened in 1954 as a private steam railway. It is widely recognised as one of the world's historic railways and is believed to be the oldest surviving railway company. The name of the works derives from the fact that Madocks was MP for Boston, Lincolnshire.
This range is amongst the first to be built after the opening of the railway in 1836, its function being essential to the building of rolling stock.
Single-storey, built of local slatey rubble with slate roof and wide eaves, bracketed to gable end. 3-bay front with central boarded door flanked by 4-light transomed windows. 1970's extension to right now links with Oil Store.
Listed as part of this especially complete example of a C19 railway engineering works which has important historical associations with the Ffestiniog Railway.
Group value with other listed items at Boston Lodge.
Other nearby listed buildings