This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9195 / 52°55'10"N
Longitude: -4.1063 / 4°6'22"W
OS Eastings: 258483
OS Northings: 337864
OS Grid: SH584378
Mapcode National: GBR 5Q.N4Z8
Mapcode Global: WH55L.WWS6
Entry Name: Former Machine Shop at Boston Lodge
Listing Date: 8 March 1994
Last Amended: 23 August 2002
Source ID: 14412
Building Class: Commercial
Location: The railway yard known as Boston Lodge is a large complex at south-east end of The Cob, facing Porthmadoc across the Traeth Mawr. This building is set back to left of the Erecting Shop and is the cent
Locality: Boston Lodge
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Boston Lodge was originally one of the two barracks built for the workforce constructing The Cob in 1808-11, William Madocks' major engineering project. It was widened in 1836 by the addition of the lower Cob to carry the new road and the original embankment was then converted to carry the new Ffestiniog Railway which was built as a narrow-gauge slate railway to connect the quarries at Blaenau Ffestiniog with the harbour at Porthmadoc. Boston Lodge was used to provide stabling for the horse-drawn railway but following introduction of steam locomotives in 1863, which in itself was a technological achievement given the gradients on this line, it was enlarged and converted into a locomotive works and yard; it was most unusual for such a small railway to be building its own carriages and locomotives. Boston Lodge retains this use because although the line was closed in 1946 it reopened in 1954 as a private steam railway. It is widely recognised as one of the world's historic railways and is believed to be the oldest surviving railway company. The name of the works derives from the fact that Madocks was MP for Boston, Lincolnshire.
This range probably dates from the expansion of the works after the introduction of steam locomotives in 1863 when a lot of rolling stock was being built; before this time machining facilities on this scale would not have been needed. Formerly also contained the Pattern Shop to 1st floor.
Of local slate rubble construction with slate roofs. It is 2-storey with wide eaves, bracketed to gable end, and small-pane sashes (25 and 30-pane); 3-original windows to the ground floor, replacement copies above. Rebuilt and extended to the left, which is cement-rendered with modern windows except one original window to first floor. Lean-to at rear with further small-pane sash windows.
Interior now converted to offices.
Listed as part of this especially complete example of a C19 railway engineering works which has important historical associations with the Ffestiniog Railway.
Group value with other listed items at Boston Lodge.
Other nearby listed buildings