This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9208 / 52°55'14"N
Longitude: -4.105 / 4°6'17"W
OS Eastings: 258576
OS Northings: 338001
OS Grid: SH585380
Mapcode National: GBR 5Q.N58Z
Mapcode Global: WH55L.XVF7
Entry Name: Former Weigh House at Boston Lodge Railway Works
Listing Date: 8 March 1994
Last Amended: 23 August 2002
Source ID: 14423
Building Class: Industrial
Location: The railway yard known as Boston Lodge is a large complex at the south-east end of The Cob, facing Porthmadoc across the Traeth Mawr. This building is to north east of the main Boston Lodge buildings,
Locality: Boston Lodge
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Boston Lodge was originally one of the two barracks built for the workforce constructing The Cob in 1808-11, William Madocks' major engineering project. It was widened in 1836 by the addition of the lower Cob to carry the new road and the original embankment was then converted to carry the new Ffestiniog Railway which was built as a narrow-gauge slate railway to connect the quarries at Blaenau Ffestiniog with the harbour at Porthmadoc. Boston Lodge was used to provide stabling for the horse-drawn railway but following introduction of steam locomotives in 1863, which in itself was a technological achievement given the gradients on this line, it was enlarged and converted into a locomotive works and yard; it was most unusual for such a small railway to be building its own carriages and locomotives. Boston Lodge retains this use because although the line was closed in 1946 it reopened in 1954 as a private steam railway. It is widely recognised as one of the world's historic railways and is believed to be the oldest surviving railway company. The name of the works derives from the fact that Madocks was MP for Boston, Lincolnshire.
This building became the main weigh house on the Ffestiniog Railway, superseding in 1856 that at Minffordd which dates from the 1830's.
Like the other mid C19 buildings here it is built of local slatey rubble and in this case also has quoins. Slate roof with stone chimney stack to south and wide eaves which are bracketed to the asymmetrical gable end; on the west side the eaves line slopes down towards the south, exaggerated by the fact that the walls are not parallel. The gable end has a boarded door beside a narrow sash window, with glazing bar to upper sash; overall stone lintel. West side has 3-light, small-pane, timber window beneath which are apertures for the counter-balance rods used in weighing the wagons on the line. One small-pane sash window on the east side. At south end it is attached to locomotive shed.
Listed as part of this especially complete example of a C19 railway engineering works which has important historical associations with the Ffestiniog Railway.
Group value with other listed items at Boston Lodge.
Other nearby listed buildings