This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0422 / 52°2'31"N
Longitude: -4.6277 / 4°37'39"W
OS Eastings: 219881
OS Northings: 241458
OS Grid: SN198414
Mapcode National: GBR D1.FDSR
Mapcode Global: VH2MW.QXWV
Entry Name: Attached Wall with Gatepiers
Listing Date: 16 January 1952
Last Amended: 15 April 1994
Source ID: 14514
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated just SW of the house, backing onto drive.
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Abel Gower (d.1788) and son Abel Anthony Gower (d.1837) are said to have built the 'offices' at Glandovan. Marked on 1838 Tithe map.
Outbuilding: Late C18 or early C19 outbuilding, whitewashed rubble stone with slate roof, hipped to W. One bay is added at E end with large square whitewashed stone bell-tower with arched openings and pyramid slate roof. Long two-storey range with two stone outside stairs, each with arched recesses beneath. E end stairs give access to door to ringing floor for bell. To left, flanked by matching and opposed stone stairs, a double fronted stable with centre door and window each side and two windows above, all with timber lintels. The second set of stairs to left give access to loft door. Beyond a long range with two upper windows, two rows of some twenty paired dove holes below and ground floor door by steps and, obscured by C20 lean-to, vent loop, door and two loops. Rear wall to drive has dove-openings and various blocked doors and windows with cut-stone voussoirs, suggesting that building may once have faced N.
E end stable retains timber arcade of former stalls, two main ground floor rooms to W, with massive beams. Collar-truss roofs with bolted collars throughout.
Yard Wall: A rubble stone wall runs E to enclose yard with two Cilgerran stone gatepiers with fluted friezes, cornices and pyramid caps. Double iron gates with top-rails ramped down to meeting stile and curved strengthening bars. Similar to gates at Glandovan Lodge. Another pair of gatepiers flank drive to N, similar, one with a ball finial.
Other nearby listed buildings