This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0366 / 52°2'11"N
Longitude: -4.6331 / 4°37'58"W
OS Eastings: 219493
OS Northings: 240849
OS Grid: SN194408
Mapcode National: GBR D0.FZD2
Mapcode Global: VH2N2.N21L
Entry Name: Ty Rhos Chapel
Listing Date: 15 April 1994
Last Amended: 15 April 1994
Source ID: 14532
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated on W side of road from Cilgerran to Rhos Hill, some 2km S of Cilgerran.
Town: Rhos Hill
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
1859 Independent chapel, in rubble stone with cut Cilgerran stone dressings, slate roof and paired brackets to eaves. Gable-fronted two-storey three-bay elevation, with arched small-paned windows above, cambered-headed 16-pane sashes below and centre arched doorway with double 4-panel doors and radiating-bar fanlight. All the window heads are in cut stone, recessed with raised keystones. Slate sills. The gable has paired brackets, later C20 render and a small keyed roundel in cut stone. Over the door is a roundel plaque 'Tyrhos Congregational Chapel Built AD 1815 Rebuilt AD 1859'. Three-window rendered side walls with similar windows.
1881 front spearhead rails on low coped wall with gateway of two plain slate piers with pyramid caps. Double gates with wrought iron scrolls and spearheads.
Old photographs show the whole front stuccoed.
Three-sided gallery on 3x3 marbled columns, raised above the level of the pews, the gallery front high and vertically panelled. Pine pews. Plain great seat. Arched recess behind the balustraded pulpit. Lobby has a traceried centre window with coloured glass panes, gallery stairs in angles.
Other nearby listed buildings