This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0476 / 52°2'51"N
Longitude: -4.7103 / 4°42'36"W
OS Eastings: 214243
OS Northings: 242265
OS Grid: SN142422
Mapcode National: GBR CX.F49P
Mapcode Global: VH2MV.9SQP
Entry Name: Glanrhyd Chapel including Area Railings
Listing Date: 15 April 1994
Last Amended: 15 April 1994
Source ID: 14518
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated on B4582 road some 1.5km W of junction with A487.
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
1870 Calvinistic Methodist chapel in banded tooled rubble stone with slate roof. Bracketed eaves with open pedimental gable over keyed roundel with quartrefoil and plaque 'Glanrhyd Adeiladwyd gan y Trefnyddion Calfinaidd 1870'. Three-bay front of arched openings with bicolour voussoirs, keystones and slate outer arch rings. Small paned windows, two long outer windows with marginal glazing bars and radiating bars to heads, two small narrow centre lights with Y-tracery heads and broad doorway with Y-tracery fanlight, the centre panel with Gothic cusping. Paired 2-panel doors. Two storey, two-window sides with 16-pane sashes and two long end windows. Attached to right hand corner is 1934 vestry by J T Williams of Cardigan.
Front railings on low stone wall with stone end piers and painted slate gatepiers. Spearhead rails with dog-bars. Paired gates ramped up to meeting stile.
Pitch pine pews, three-sided gallery on 2x3 turned wood columns, the bases at pew-back level. Gallery front in long horizontal panels. Curved angles. Clock marked Thos Thomas, Cardigan. Pulpit on square platform with steps up each side. Flat ceiling with one small rose. Entrance lobby has window with etched and coloured glass to corner panes.
A handsome chapel front with good interior. Similar in detail to chapels nearby at Felindre Farchog, Penuel Cemaes and Pontyglasier.
Other nearby listed buildings