This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1537 / 53°9'13"N
Longitude: -3.7926 / 3°47'33"W
OS Eastings: 280226
OS Northings: 363344
OS Grid: SH802633
Mapcode National: GBR 64.597B
Mapcode Global: WH65Q.QZ6N
Entry Name: Former Stable and Cartshed facing road at Old Rectory.
Listing Date: 29 April 1994
Last Amended: 17 February 1997
Source ID: 14541
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Situated uphill from the Old Rectory beside the lane that climbs the hill from Llanrwst to Llanddoged. This building is set into the slope, faces the lane and is set well back at right angles to the
Community: Llanddoged and Maenan (Llanddoged a Maenan)
Community: Llanddoged and Maenan
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Late Medieval cruck-framed building of probable domestic origin (smoke blackened cruck blades within); perhaps of late C15 date and presumably always associated with the former cruck-framed byre now at right-angles with it. The building was encased in limewashed rubble at some point in the C17 or C18; it is described as in poor repair and thatched in a document c1750. Both buildings underwent alterations in the 1860s when they were converted into a cartshed/stables and a byre respectively. Dates of 1861 and 1868, together with the initials TD (for Thomas Davies) are seen carved into lintels on both buildings; Thomas Davies was rector of Llanddoged from 1829 and appears to have built Larke Stoke, the present Old Rectory.
Rectangular rubble building, whitewashed and with boulder foundations; slate roof with raised eaves (see old roofline on downhill gable). The front has timber lintel over stable door to left and tall boarded cartshed doors to right; also a blocked window between. The rear has a single, central, boarded door; the unusual length of the timber lintel together with the straight joint in the masonry indicates that the opening was formerly (though not originally) considerably broader. Immediately beside this door is the protruding foot of a cruck blade, around which the masonry walling is built. The north-east corner shows a change in the masonry and to the front there are slate steps up the bank. C19 three-seater stone privy in angle to south-west.
4-bay interior, cruck-trusses to south and C19 trusses to north. Both cruck couples survive but are cut at the elbow for the insertion of later ceilings and both are of massive un-chamfered timbers. The blackening of the timbers suggests there may have been an open hearth which indicates domestic use and would reinforce its early date; no evidence of a chimney, though a former smoke bay cannot be ruled out. Cobbled and flagged floors; a recess in the front wall relates to a blocked window; boarded cill. Otherwise mid C19 or modern fittings. Stable to left has three stalls; tack-room to centre and cartshed to right. Blocked window beside the door.
Listed for the special interest of its medieval cruck-framed origins.
Group value with the adjacent Former Byre at Old Rectory.
Other nearby listed buildings