This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1536 / 53°9'13"N
Longitude: -3.7926 / 3°47'33"W
OS Eastings: 280226
OS Northings: 363332
OS Grid: SH802633
Mapcode National: GBR 64.597C
Mapcode Global: WH65Q.QZ6R
Entry Name: Former Byre at right-angles to road at Old Rectory.
Listing Date: 29 April 1994
Last Amended: 17 February 1997
Source ID: 14542
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Situated uphill from the Old Rectory beside the lane that climbs the hill from Llanrwst to Llanddoged. This building is aligned gable end on to the lane and is set back at right angles to former stab
Community: Llanddoged and Maenan (Llanddoged a Maenan)
Community: Llanddoged and Maenan
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Late Medieval cruck-framed barn or byre, perhaps of late C15 date and presumably always associated with the former cruck-framed domestic building at right-angles with it. The building was encased in limewashed rubble at some point in the C17 or C18; it is described as in poor repair and thatched in a document c1750. Both buildings underwent alterations in the 1860s when they were converted into a cartshed/stables and a byre respectively. Dates of 1861 and 1868, together with the initials TD (for Thomas Davies) are seen carved into lintels on both buildings; Thomas Davies was rector of Llanddoged from 1829 and appears to have built Larke Stoke, the present Old Rectory.
Whitened rubble building with boulder foundations and slate roof; raised eaves, deep verges with plain bargeboards. Wide entrance with modern boarded doors and curved, exposed lintel; further, smaller entrance to R with lintel and door as before. Ruined pigsty against south-east gable, this with loft opening. C19 stone-built three-seater privy in angle between the two ranges.
Internally there is one surviving complete cruck truss to right (north-west) end but the remaining trusses to left are of late C17 or early C18 pegged tie-beam type. The timbers are of much thinner scantling than those in the other range (stable and cartshed). The width of the right-hand bay, with the cruck truss unusually close to the gable end, suggests that the original timber-framed building continued further to north-west and was perhaps contiguous with the former stable and cartshed. Cobbled floor to cowshed at left end and flagged floor to middle. Otherwise the interior has been converted for storage use.
Included for group value with Former Stable and Cartshed at Old Rectory.
Other nearby listed buildings