This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1597 / 53°9'35"N
Longitude: -3.797 / 3°47'49"W
OS Eastings: 279949
OS Northings: 364021
OS Grid: SH799640
Mapcode National: GBR 64.4VJG
Mapcode Global: WH65Q.NV41
Entry Name: L-shaped agricultural range at Belmont
Listing Date: 17 February 1997
Last Amended: 17 February 1997
Source ID: 18239
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Located 60m W of Belmont, set back to the N of the lane to Llanddoged and facing a former stable complex.
Community: Llanddoged and Maenan (Llanddoged a Maenan)
Community: Llanddoged and Maenan
Traditional County: Denbighshire
The Belmont agricultural complex was built, or at least added to, by the Rev. John Nanney Wynne, who lived at Belmont as his primary residence from 1795 until his death in 1838. Renowned as a 'keen devotee of the turf', the Reverend aquired the contemporary nick-name of 'the sporting rector of Llangwyfan' and established a racing stables at Belmont which survives as this complex. He was a regular participator in the celebrated Conway races, held at 'the Marsh' until discontinued c1809, and was known to have possessed a large collection of silver cups and trophies, of which he was justifiably proud.
Late C18 L-shaped storied agricultural complex; of rubble with slate roofs and cambered red brick heads to ground-floor openings. The main range runs N-S and is of three sections, with an advanced central barn and flanking byre and stable sections, continously roofed. The former is symmetrical and has large opposing entrances, that to the rear smaller and with modern flanking buttresses. 2 tiers of ventilation slits and two unglazed square windows to upper floor, under the eaves. The adjoining R section has 3 standard entrances, the 2 to the R converted to (unglazed) window openings; 2 further unglazed windows under the eaves. The L section is similar, with an entrance at R and 2 windows to L; these with modern glazing. Openings to upper floor as before with, in the L corner, a tall loading bay.
The subsidiary arm of the range adjoins at right-angles at the top and runs E-W. This has an entrance to the L with flanking windows, that to L blocked, that to R unglazed. To the R are 2 entrances, the first a wide carriage entrance with opposing arch, creating an access tunnel. That beyond is a standard entrance set into an arched recess of the same size of the carriage entrance; 5 square windows under the eaves, boarded or with modern glazing. Plain brick chimney to centre R. External stepped access to upper boarded and studded, deeply-recessed door on L gable end. The rear roof pitch of this section is of corrugated iron. A modern barn adjoins the N-S arm to the rear.
3-bay central and R sections of N-S range with pegged tie-beam trusses with queen struts; slate-flagged floor to former. Dividing wall within L section.
A fine late C18 agricultural complex associated with the Rev. John Nanney, the 'Racing Rector.'
Other nearby listed buildings