This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6189 / 51°37'8"N
Longitude: -3.9606 / 3°57'38"W
OS Eastings: 264360
OS Northings: 192943
OS Grid: SS643929
Mapcode National: GBR WP9.KP
Mapcode Global: VH4K9.9KJS
Entry Name: St James Church
Listing Date: 25 July 1994
Last Amended: 25 July 1994
Source ID: 14637
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: In churchyard formed by St James’ Crescent and Walter Road.
Built-Up Area: Swansea
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Consecrated 1867; by T Nicholson, architect, of Hereford. Church was built as chapel of ease to St Mary’s, Swansea until separate parish formed 1985. Some damage, especially to windows, caused by Second World War bomb.
C19 version of Decorated style. Brown snecked stone, pale freestone dressings, slate roof; angle buttresses, most windows have hoodmoulds with head stops. Nave, aisles, chancel, N and S transepts, S porch, vestries to N of chancel. West nave window, 3 light; 2 light window to each aisle end. S gabled porch, angle buttresses, polygonal shafts, flowers in hollow of arch, stone benches to interior, simple arch to entrance doorway of church. Aisle windows with hoodmoulds with head stops. Four-light S transept window. Single bay organ chamber to angle with chancel, 3-light round window with quatrefoil to E. Priest’s door to chancel, 2-light window. Six-light E window with intersecting tracery. To N of chancel, vestries etc; 3-light E window; octagonal stone chimney. Flat-roofed boiler room entrance in NW angle of transept; door to W end of aisle.
Nave of 4 bays with round shafts, floral capitals (unhistoric transitional plus natural detail); relief roundels of prophets to spandrels. Open braced roofs to nave and chancel. S transept altar with wooden traceried panels to altar and reredos. South chancel organ chamber. Inner orders of arches of chancel arch and N and S ‘chapels’ on corbelled (floral or angel corbels) shafts with floral capitals. E and W windows 1953-54 by Gerald Smith of A K Nicholson.
Included for prominence in conservation area.
Other nearby listed buildings