This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0655 / 52°3'55"N
Longitude: -4.6021 / 4°36'7"W
OS Eastings: 221729
OS Northings: 243989
OS Grid: SN217439
Mapcode National: GBR D2.D13F
Mapcode Global: VH2MX.5BWX
Plus Code: 9C4Q398X+64
Entry Name: Stable block to NW of Pencraig
Listing Date: 10 August 1994
Last Amended: 10 August 1994
Source ID: 14789
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated to NW of house, reached by drive from Pencraig Lodge in Llechryd village.
Built-Up Area: Llechryd
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Pencraig House was called 'newly erected' in 1838, and is marked on 1841 Tithe Map with the stables, when it was owned by Jane Davies and occupied by Sophia Buck. The house belonged to the Lascelles family in mid to later C19 and Col J L Vaughan in 1920s. He renewed the stable window heads in brick and converted the centre to motor-house with raised slate-paved apron in front. [Main front of house is altered and rewindowed.]
Earlier C19 stable range in roughcast stone with slate hipped roof and two ridge stacks. Single storey with loft. Front range has centre pedimental gable with radiating-bar roundel and 6 pairs of dove holes. On ridge is hexagonal timber bellcote on roughcast base with slim turned columns, arched heads and leaded ogee dome with fox weathervane. Bellcote is identical to one at Glanarberth. Ground floor centre has broad camber-headed entry with double ledged doors and slate impost blocks and keystone. To right, paired small 12-pane windows, door and 8-pane square sash. To left, ledged door with renewed brick cambered head, 9-pane window with similar brick head, paired 9-pane windows, and door to left. Roof has four roof-lights. W end wall has low loading-door under eaves and ground floor window.
Added NE rear range in coursed rubble stone with slate roof, hipped at S end. One broad opening with cambered red-brick head and three doors with cut-stone voussoirs to cambered heads, and blocked vent loops between.
Included as an unusually attractive and well-preserved stable block of the early C19.
Other nearby listed buildings