History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Forecourt Gates Gatepiers and Railings

A Grade II Listed Building in Llechryd, Ceredigion

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.064 / 52°3'50"N

Longitude: -4.6029 / 4°36'10"W

OS Eastings: 221668

OS Northings: 243824

OS Grid: SN216438

Mapcode National: GBR D2.D0Y6

Mapcode Global: VH2MX.5DG2

Entry Name: Forecourt Gates Gatepiers and Railings

Listing Date: 10 August 1994

Last Amended: 10 August 1994

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 14783

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Situated on E side of lane running S from main road at Seven Stars Inn in village.

County: Ceredigion

Community: Llangoedmor

Community: Llangoedmor

Locality: Llechryd

Built-Up Area: Llechryd

Traditional County: Cardiganshire

Find accommodation in
Llechryd

Exterior

1830 Independent Chapel, rendered front with slate hipped roof. Front has plain square-headed openings to two centre long windows, two doors and two long gallery windows above. Doors and centre windows have stucco pilasters, and moulded arches over, gallery windows have raised surrounds. Painted slate diamond plaque to centre 'Llechryd Chapel was built in the year 1709 and rebuilt in the year 1830'. C20 framed ledged doors with overlights and early C20 plain glazing. Rubble stone S wall with 6-pane sash each floor. [Attached to the NE corner is altered C19 two-storey three-window rubble stone chapel house.]
Cilgerran stone C19 front retaining wall with slim monolith gatepiers, pyramid capped, coped wall with low spearhead rails and intermediate spearheads each side, and larger cut-stone pyramid-capped end piers. Double iron gates.

Interior

Grained box pews of 1830 with some reused work from earlier chapel, including one seat-back inscribed 'Coedmore Seat 1709'. Five-sided gallery on four marbled timber columns, bracketed cornice and panelled front. Clock by D Jenkins, Cardigan 1839. Later plain ceiling ornament of ribs and centre rose, Later C19 pulpit with plaster arched aedicule behind and great seat with balustrading.

Reasons for Listing

Included principally for early C19 gallery and pews, very rare in this part of Dyfed.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.