This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2145 / 53°12'52"N
Longitude: -3.3011 / 3°18'4"W
OS Eastings: 313210
OS Northings: 369390
OS Grid: SJ132693
Mapcode National: GBR 6S.1GM7
Mapcode Global: WH76X.8G8L
Plus Code: 9C5R6M7X+QG
Entry Name: Colomendy
Listing Date: 22 October 1952
Last Amended: 31 January 2001
Source ID: 14879
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Approximately 2km SSW of Ddol reached at the end of a minor road S of the A541.
Traditional County: Flintshire
A tablet dated 1663, with the initials 'W, P & M' on the exterior is probably ex situ. The most likely date for the building of the house is 1660, the date on an overmantel to the upper-storey fireplace. However this may have been a rebuilding of an earlier house as a large adjacent barn is dated 1657.
A two-and-a-half storey house of lobby entry plan with lower rear wing, of rubble stone with bigger quoins, painted white, and a slate roof with central stone stack. Windows are renewed in modern materials, mostly replacing earlier sash windows. To the front is an added lean-to porch to the centre, with an arched window lower L, and flat-headed windows lower and upper R. A single-storey gabled projection is on the R-hand side, with a doorway to the L side wall.
The L gable end of the house has segmental-headed windows in both storeys, with a smaller attic window. In the upper storey the window is of 3 lights with ovolo mullions, and above it, below the arched head, is a dated tablet and the initials 'WP & M', probably ex situ. The rear of the house has, on the R side, an added single-storey lean-to with a single window to the centre and a doorway set back on the L side against the main rear wing. The gabled rear wing has a reduced end stack. It has inserted windows in both storeys of its gable end. On the L side of the wing the main house also has inserted windows in both storeys. The R gable end is similar to the L in having segmental-headed windows in both storeys and a smaller attic window. The single-storey projection has inserted rear and side windows.
The hall, on the R side of the entrance, has a joist-beam ceiling with stepped stops, and a fireplace with timber lintel. The parlour has a joist-beam ceiling with run-out stops, and a much richer chimneypiece. This has a stone overmantel with 4 cusped tracery panels, in which are shields and roses in low relief. The initials 'PWM' are over the panels. The original staircase was probably in the rear wing but the present plain stair is modern. In the main sleeping chamber above the hall is a fireplace with a stone overmantel, simpler than the parlour, which has 2 shallow blind segmental arches, in the R of which is a Welsh inscription, in the L the date 1660 and the initials PWM.
Listed grade II* for the exceptional interest of its interior detail, including 2 unusually elaborate fireplace mantles.
Group value with the cow house and barn, forming a substantial C17 farm group.
Other nearby listed buildings