This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1888 / 53°11'19"N
Longitude: -3.042 / 3°2'31"W
OS Eastings: 330474
OS Northings: 366247
OS Grid: SJ304662
Mapcode National: GBR 73.35L6
Mapcode Global: WH88C.73PR
Plus Code: 9C5R5XQ5+G6
Entry Name: Former Head Master's House at Hawarden High School
Listing Date: 16 November 1994
Last Amended: 16 November 1994
Source ID: 15089
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Adjacent to the NW of the main school block, the former Head Master's house, now the 6th form centre.
Community: Hawarden (Penarlâg)
Built-Up Area: Shotton
Traditional County: Flintshire
Established under the Welsh Intermediate Act of 1889, the former Hawarden County School was opened in 1898 as the fifth of its kind in Flintshire. The school was designed to accomodate 54
boys and 44 girls. By Grayson and Ould of Liverpool and built by W. and T. Bailey of Hawarden at a cost of ú2,450.
A large, asymmetrical 2-storey brick building under a steeply-pitched tile roof. Stacks to both L and R with moulded necking. Advanced L bay with timber-framed gable with plain barge-boards. Central entrance with moulded round-headed arch. Part-glazed door with decorative fanlight. Single-storey canted bay to R with 8-light leaded window and shallow tiled roof. Dentilated string course. Similar 8-light window to ground floor L bay. 2 and 3 light windows to first floor. 3-light flat-roofed dormer to attick. Decorative rainwater head to R of gablet and further dormer to S/W face. Also a stepped lateral chimney.
Contemporary single-storey storage range to rear.
Group value with the Library Block.
Other nearby listed buildings