This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1316 / 53°7'53"N
Longitude: -3.1392 / 3°8'21"W
OS Eastings: 323876
OS Northings: 359986
OS Grid: SJ238599
Mapcode National: GBR 6Z.6RYB
Mapcode Global: WH77C.RKB3
Entry Name: Orangery at Nerquis Hall
Listing Date: 22 October 1952
Last Amended: 12 December 1994
Source ID: 15221
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: To the W of Nerquis Hall at the end of an orchard, and close to the road.
Locality: Nerquis Hall Estate
Traditional County: Flintshire
A Semi-octagonal Gothic orangery by Benjamin Gummow, architect of Ruabon, 1813. Of brick with rendered sides and ashlar facing to the three main walls. Castellated parapet with moulded string-course beneath crocketted and gabled finials (mostly reduced). These are at the corners and surmount narrow stepped and gabled buttresses with moulded bases. Large pointed-arched openings to the 5 faces, those at the sides and that in the centre with moulded labels. Complex wrought- iron tracery in Decorated style to the 3 main faces, that to the centre lacking the lower section.
Adjoining the orangery to the R and running N, and then E in a curve, a roughly 14ft high brick wall with stone capping. Essentially late C18. Modern gated entrance immediately to the R of the orangery. About 100ft along the W-E section, in the centre, the flanking walls of a former greenhouse project to the N. These are stone coped and have ashlar faces to N with returned quoins. The wall continues eastwards at the same height until it terminates in sloped change of levels. In the centre of this last stretch of the wall, a large inserted entrance. This has a heavily-moulded oak doorcase with ovolo mouldings and an outer chevron pattern. The three sections, lintel and reveals, are clearly re-used C17 material, probably from the top of a screen. Plain boarded door.
A fine early C19 orangery with earlier kitchen garden wall incorporating interesting C17 material, perhaps from Nerquis Hall.
Other nearby listed buildings