This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1228 / 53°7'21"N
Longitude: -3.1395 / 3°8'22"W
OS Eastings: 323840
OS Northings: 359006
OS Grid: SJ238590
Mapcode National: GBR 6Z.7CVT
Mapcode Global: WH77C.RR6W
Plus Code: 9C5R4VF6+45
Entry Name: Plas Nant y Glyn (excluding C20 W Range)
Listing Date: 12 December 1994
Last Amended: 12 December 1994
Source ID: 15245
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located at the end of a long track to the L of a lane leading off Ffordd Nercwys to the E, at the S extremity of the community council area.
Traditional County: Flintshire
In 1821 the church aquired the site from Elizabeth Giffard (Nercwys Hall estate) to provide a residence for the curate of Treuddyn. The present house is of this date. In 1852 the house was sold by the chuch to Joseph Norris for #402 and alterations of this date can be attributed to him. Further alterations and remodelling carried out C. 1948 in folly style.
A 2-storey late Georgian house altered and extended in the mid C19. Shallow-pitched slate roof with plain end chimneys, that to the R rendered. Shaped stone kneelers to gable ends. Rough- dressed rubble construction. Symmetrical 2-window facade with contemporary 12-pane near-flush sash windows to ground floor and 9-pane sashes to first floor. Flat dressed lintels and projecting stone cills. Central single storey porch with stepped access. Flanking Tuscan columns and a parapet with 2 sections of moulded crenellation and a Gothic crocketted finial. All of this is re-used and apparently came from Plas Onn c.1966 (information from the owner). 6-panelled door (upper 4 raised and fielded) and a deeply recessed inner door with simply-glazed upper section.
To the rear a 2-storey modern projection to the R in vernacular Gothic style bearing a re-used date shield inscribed 185(6?). Mostly modern or re-used windows. Brick porch with modern door and
to the R a cambered-headed stable door. A modern glazed conservatory occupies the length of this face. To the R of the facade (N face) a single-storey lean-to with slate roof. This adjoins a modern
curved stone wall which adjoins the house flush with the facade and sweeps forward to partly enclose the forecourt.
Adjoining the main range to the N a large gabled 2-storey wing of rubble with brick detailing. This belongs to the mid-C19 work. Slate roof with plain brick end chimney. 4 and 6-pane sash
windows, those to the gable end with brick cambered heads. Set back, and adjoining this to the W, a further mid-C19 gabled range (originally the 1820s stables). Cement coping to gables and reduced end-chimneys. Modern fenestration and central modern porch entrance. In the centre, at first floor level a further in situ date shield bearing date 1857. The rear of this section has been refaced c.1948 and given sham machicolations and parapet.
6-panelled doors and window shuttering to ground floor rooms. Early C19 dog-leg stair with swept mahogany rail, columnar newels and stick balusters.
Included as a simple Regency curate's house with honest mid-C19 additions.
Other nearby listed buildings