This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7728 / 51°46'22"N
Longitude: -3.0858 / 3°5'8"W
OS Eastings: 325179
OS Northings: 208794
OS Grid: SO251087
Mapcode National: GBR F2.ZK78
Mapcode Global: VH79C.GPJV
Entry Name: Horeb Baptist Church
Listing Date: 9 February 1995
Last Amended: 9 February 1995
Source ID: 15270
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Community: Blaenavon (Blaenafon)
Built-Up Area: Blaenavon
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Set back from the road behind railed forecourt at the junction of Church Road and High Street, set in the slope.
History: Built in 1862 for the Baptists at a cost of £1300, this was the second Horeb Chapel to be built in Blaenavon.
Exterior: Built in a simple classical style, on a T-shaped plan, in painted rendered stone with slate roof. Three-window gable facade is symmetrical and has a flight of steps on semi- circular plan, leading to a porch. Two Ionic columns and two half columns support a plain entablature and pediment with slate roof. The doorway is square headed with chamfered jambs and double doors set back. The plinth is coursed rock-faced stone; rendered above. The facade is framed by two end pilaster strips, continued to gable. Two tall windows to either side of the doorway and a shorter one above, are all round headed with moulded stone architrave, keystone, and angled stone sill supported by paired brackets. A framed stone plaque above the central window is inscribed with the chapel's name and date. Deep modillion-bracketed eaves.
The side elevation is roughcast rendered. The southern three bays have a stone plinth and three tall round headed windows with angled sills supported by paired brackets. At the southern end the return of the capital from the main elevation pilaster is visible just below the eaves. The northern bay is advanced and gabled, with rendered plinth and is on three storeys. On the ground floor, the round headed doorway is set back, with double, panelled doors and a semi-circular fanlight. To one side is a small window. The first and second floors each have a pair of windows. All windows are round headed with angled brick sills. Window frames recently replaced with UPVC.
Interior: The galleried interior is largely intact including a baptismal pool below the floorboards. A double staircase with wooden spindles leads to the pulpit, with the organ situated behind. Pews and dado panelling retained. Seven cast iron pillars support the gallery which is reached from the entrance hall via two staircases. There are four tiers of seats. In the centre of the decorated ceiling is a large plaster rose, with swirling acanthus leaves.
Included for group value with neighbouring listed items on Church Road.
Reference: Gwent County Record Office, D.2174.76, 'History of Horeb Baptist Church"
Other nearby listed buildings