This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9196 / 52°55'10"N
Longitude: -4.2343 / 4°14'3"W
OS Eastings: 249876
OS Northings: 338138
OS Grid: SH498381
Mapcode National: GBR 5K.N3VX
Mapcode Global: WH44D.XWT3
Entry Name: National Westminster Bank
Listing Date: 12 December 1994
Last Amended: 12 December 1994
Source ID: 15369
Building Class: Commercial
Location: On the W corner with the lane that leads up past the Lion Hotel.
Community: Criccieth (Cricieth)
Built-Up Area: Criccieth
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Formerly the National Provincial Bank which operated in Criccieth from its branch in Pwllheli until 1919 before establishing a sub-branch in the town. The first bank building was quickly replaced on a new site with the present building, designed in 1923 by Frederick Charles R. Palmer, surveyor to the National Provincial Bank.
Random squared rubble, with ashlar dressings and steep splay stone roof recessed behind parapets which are stepped up at either gable to the end wall stacks. Single storeyed, with banking hall in main block and offices in rear ranges - a gabled wing to E and flat roofed W wing. Angled corner with entrance in segmentally arched doorway with mullioned leaded overlight. Asymmetrical gabled return to right of doorway with 3-tier 3-light mullioned and transomed window, and ashlar panel above it incorporating the name of the bank. Rear wing with crow-stepped gable and parapet, and 2-light mullioned and transomed window, set back beyond. Elevation to street has shallow canted 6-light mullioned and transomed bay window towards centre, with flanking single light transomed windows. Ashlar recessed panel incorporating name of bank above central window.
The banking hall is open to the roof, which has collar strut trusses carried on stone corbels. Original fittings have been retained: simple C17-style panelling to walls and counter, and corner fireplace with Delft tiles.
A purpose-designed bank of exceptional quality, using the Arts and Crafts principles of local materials and expressive massing in a highly unusual and striking design, which is an important feature in the High Street.
Other nearby listed buildings