This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7346 / 52°44'4"N
Longitude: -4.0254 / 4°1'31"W
OS Eastings: 263345
OS Northings: 317139
OS Grid: SH633171
Mapcode National: GBR 8V.0TSL
Mapcode Global: WH56M.4JFG
Entry Name: Adjacent Former Wash House
Listing Date: 31 January 1995
Last Amended: 31 January 1995
Source ID: 15491
Building Class: Domestic
Location: On elevated ground immediately above the main road approximately 300m SW of Pont Glandwr; at the end of a short metalled drive.
Community: Barmouth (Bermo)
Traditional County: Merionethshire
A Regency villa of 1831 incorporating earlier, late C17/early C18 fabric; altered and extended c.1878 by Owen Orton Powell Edmond Esq, at which time re-named Bodowen (originally Henblas). The home of Major H W Tilman (1898-1977), the famous explorer and mountaineer.
2 storeys; rendered rubble. Square plan with contemporary service wing to NE. Pyramidal slate roof with rectangular central rendered stack ;this with 8 moulded Victorian chimneypots. Wide oversailing eaves with moulded brackets. Assymetrical entrance front (NW); central entrance with recessed 4-panelled Victorian door (glazed upper section). Above this a good carved stone heraldic plaque with the date 1878 and the Edmond arms. Original (relocated) brass plaque to L of door:`Bodowen 1831.' 6-light wooden mullioned and transomed windows to ground and first floors to L of entrance. 4-light window to L with plain 4-pane Victorian sash above, all recessed. SW side with 2 long cross-windows (down to ground level) with sash windows as before above. To the rear, a single-storey lead-roofed extension(1878) with corbelled eaves; square glazed bay with French windows.Attached 4-bay service range to NE stepped-down slightly; slate roof.This is built into the slope of the hill and the 2 bays to the L areof one storey only; external stepped access to side and up to former service court. Along the front (NW) and side (SW) of the main house, aglazed-roofed verandah (1878) carried on cast iron columns with acanthus capitals and pierced, decorative brackets; geometric tiledfloor. The SE and SW roof pitches of the house each have 2 modern gabled, plain-glazed dormers; skylight to front (NW) pitch.
Adjoining the external service steps, and built into the slope of the hill, a single-storey rubble-built wash house, contemporary with the Regency house. Slate roof, hipped to the NE; entrance opposite the service wing (SE) with boarded door. 2 modern glazed lights to NW face, between raised ground level and eaves; further boarded light to angled N face.
NE room (kitchen) with wide inglenook fireplace with stop- chamfered bresummer. Thick walls with low panelled doorways; 6- panelled doors. Further, slate-linteled inglenook to entrance hall; geometric polychromed tiles.
An elegant Regency villa with interesting late C19 alterations, being the former home of the explorer Major H W Tilman.
Other nearby listed buildings