This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.7122 / 52°42'44"N
Longitude: -4.0063 / 4°0'22"W
OS Eastings: 264563
OS Northings: 314618
OS Grid: SH645146
Mapcode National: GBR 8W.266M
Mapcode Global: WH56T.F3G2
Plus Code: 9C4QPX6V+VF
Entry Name: St Catherine's Church
Listing Date: 1 February 1995
Last Amended: 1 February 1995
Source ID: 15583
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Set back slightly from the road in a rubble-walled churchyard adjacent to Bont Arthog.
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Early C19 chapel with later C19 and early C20 alterations. Richard Fenton, the traveller and antiquarian, described it in 1808 as `a new chapel of ease to Celynin.'
Small, simple single-cell chapel of rubble with medium pitched slate roof. 3 large arched leaded windows to S side with simple tripartite wooden tracery with geometric tracery heads, that to the R with blocked entrance beneath. Similar window to E wall with 2 quatrefoils above 3 cusped lancets. Plain pedimented rubble bell-cote to W gable with arched head to opening. Simple single-storey gabled porch with simply-kneelered slate-coped parapets and stone cross at apex; arched entrance with stone seat and 2 boarded doors within, one to nave and one, off to N giving
access to internal gallery. This is via an added gabled stair projection, slightly set back from and adjoining the porch to the N; Slit-window to ground floor with arched leaded lancet above. Above the porch on the W wall, a plain leaded oculus. Gabled late C19 vestry addition to N wall with depressed arched window containing 2-light wooden mullion with shaped, arched lights. Adjoining this to the L and set back slightly a wider gabled projection of snecked rubble; an early C20 boiler house; flat, buttress-like chimney against the N wall of the chapel.
Simple 4-bay queen strut roof; plain tiled floor. Continuous nave and chancel; plain early C20 pews and simple wooden W gallery. C20 biblical texts painted in panels beneath wall plate. Earlier (C18) oak turned altar rails and arched panelled dado to chancel; tripartite wooden retable in simple Gothic style. Square panelled pulpit. Figurative stained glass to E window commemorating Thomas Taylor of Penmaenucha and Arthog, d. 1876. Early C20 wall tablets.
Listed as a charming and unusual early C19 chapel in a prominent road-side position.
Group value with Bont Arthog.
Other nearby listed buildings