History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pant-Phylip Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Arthog, Gwynedd

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.709 / 52°42'32"N

Longitude: -4.0009 / 4°0'3"W

OS Eastings: 264919

OS Northings: 314251

OS Grid: SH649142

Mapcode National: GBR 8W.2FKM

Mapcode Global: WH56T.J51J

Entry Name: Pant-Phylip Farmhouse

Listing Date: 1 February 1995

Last Amended: 1 February 1995

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 15587

Building Class: Domestic

County: Gwynedd

Community: Arthog

Community: Arthog

Traditional County: Merionethshire

Find accommodation in
Arthog

Exterior

Situated 0.5km SE of Arthog village above the Arthog waterfalls; reached via a steep, winding farmtrack branching off at the base of the waterfalls from a metalled lane leading from the A 493 at
the northern boundary of Arthog and ultimately joining the Ffordd Ddu beneath Cader Idris.

One-and-a-half storey 3 window vernacular farmhouse dated 1731. Rubble construction with modern slate roof; rubble gable parapets with moulded kneelers and moulded eaves cornice. Tall stacks with moulded capping and weather coursing. Flat-arched central entrance with pronounced slate-stone voussoirs and moulded label; modern part-glazed door. Unaltered fenestration, though with modern glazing, the 3 upper windows breaking the eaves and contained within large gabled rubble dormers with moulded kneelers. Above the central one, a stone tablet (in situ) inscribed with date 1731, initials E O M and bird decoration. Rubble plinth and battering to L gable. On down-hill side a narrow plain-glazed light. Beneath, a basement with deeply-recessed boarded door to L with pegged doorcase; to R a former entrance with voussoirs as before, now a modern window. 4 modern skylights to rear roof pitch.

Modern lean-to addition to the rear excluded.

Interior

The interior was not accessible at the time of inspection.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a good dated vernacular farmhouse retaining most of its contemporary detail and character, despite unsympathetic modern fenestration.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Ty'n-y-Coed
    Raised up behind the main road and overlooking Arthog and the Mawddach estury in its own wooded and landscaped park; accessed via a short drive off a lane running parallel behind the main road.
  • II Arthog Hall
    Set against the hillside on a plateau with broad open views across the Mawddach estury; reached via a steep, winding drive from the centre of Arthog village off A 493.
  • II Bont Arthog (also known as Pont Pwll-Arthog)
    Spanning the Afon Arthog immediately to the E of St. Catherine's Church.
  • II Ty'n-y-Graig
    Located 0.6km S of Arthog village, to the S of the main road; accessed via a farm track leading W off a lane running up from Arthog Terrace to the Ffordd Ddu. Facing a rubble-walled garden.
  • II Y Bont
    On the roadside, slightly below the present road level, immediately to the NW of Bont Arthog.
  • II St Catherine's Church
    Set back slightly from the road in a rubble-walled churchyard adjacent to Bont Arthog.
  • II Y Bont
    On the roadside, slightly below the present road level, immediately to the NW of Bont Arthog.
  • II Attached Cottage to SW of Arthog Hall
    Set against the hillside on a plateau with broad open views across the Mawddach estury; reached via a steep, winding drive from the centre of Arthog village off A 493.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.