History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Buttington Vicarage

A Grade II Listed Building in Trewern, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6712 / 52°40'16"N

Longitude: -3.1108 / 3°6'39"W

OS Eastings: 324981

OS Northings: 308746

OS Grid: SJ249087

Mapcode National: GBR B1.4YL4

Mapcode Global: WH79Q.54X0

Entry Name: Buttington Vicarage

Listing Date: 11 March 1981

Last Amended: 24 January 1995

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 15648

Building Class: Domestic

Location: The building lies some 200 yards S of Buttington Church.

County: Powys

Community: Trewern (Tre-wern)

Community: Trewern

Locality: Buttington

Traditional County: Montgomeryshire

Find accommodation in
Welshpool

History

Built in 1836 as Buttington Vicarage.

Exterior

Breidden dolerite elevations with squared flush quoins under a slate roof. Two storeys, square double pile plan, with central stair hall leading from entrance on E. Double part-glazed doors within an unmoulded doorcase. Single central 16-pane sash with flat stone lntel and slightly raised keystone. Further 16-pane sashes with similar keyed lintels. Rebuilt square brick stacks. To rear, a 2-storey brick service extension with pyramidal slate roof, with 3 and 6-pane sashes, added 1867-8. Interior retains staircase with wreathed handrail.

Adjacent, a single storey washhouse with gable stack, and a later C19 carriage house and stable of red brick, the carriage arch of recessed orders of blue brick. Two doors and shutters to loft over.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a handsome example of a substantial country vicarage, which remains largely unaltered.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • I Church of All Saints
    Located at the junction of the main Shrewsbury to Welshpool road and the B4388, the Leighton Road, near the crossing of the River Severn.
  • II The Green Dragon Inn
    Lying 300m E of Buttington Bridge.
  • II The Malthouse
    On the west bank of the River Severn, immediately south of Buttington Bridge, approached via a track which crosses the railway close to the river bank at the western end of the bridge. The malthouse
  • II Buttington Bridge
    Trewern
  • II Garbett's Hall
    Located at the bottom of the narrow Welsh Harp Valley, on a platform site, facing out to the north.
  • II Buttington Limekilns
    Built into the E bank of the Montgomeryshire Canal immediately N of Bridge 115.
  • II Bridge 115 over the Montgomeryshire Canal
    Carries the lane over the canal at Buttington Wharf, immediately W of the roundabout on the A483 at Buttington Cross.
  • II Buttington Old Hall Farmhouse
    Located behind farm buildings, back from the main road on sloping ground, 7probably originally a platform site.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.