This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9149 / 52°54'53"N
Longitude: -3.1423 / 3°8'32"W
OS Eastings: 323286
OS Northings: 335884
OS Grid: SJ232358
Mapcode National: GBR 6Z.NK5L
Mapcode Global: WH78B.PZWR
Entry Name: Briwnant Farmhouse
Listing Date: 29 July 1994
Last Amended: 18 February 2003
Source ID: 15656
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located along a track running S off a lane c1.4km SE of Llwynmawr village, and N of the B4579 road. Set on a levelled site with farm building immediately N.
Community: Glyntraian (Glyntraean)
Locality: Nant Gwryd
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Mid-C17 lobby-entry farmhouse, said to have been dated 1640. Probably timber-framed originally, but progressively repaired in local stone. Later extension to E, probably C18-19, and constructed of stone. Extended to the rear and renovated in the late C20, having been in poor condition. There was formerly a rear window with lintel reused from a 4-light diamond-mullioned window, possibly originally lighting the hall.
House of one-and-a-half storeys constructed of rubble stone, recently repointed, under a renewed slate roof. Tall stone star-shaped chimney stack with weather-coursing to L of centre. Late C20 2-light wooden casement windows. The front entrance with renewed wooden door is L of centre, beneath the stack. Two windows R of entrance, and one to L in later E unit. A slight mark in the masonry and some possible quoins indicate the original gable end. The upper storey has a gabled dormer L of centre with 2-light casement. West gable end has casement window to attic and tiny pantry window below, with new casement window inserted to its L. Massive boulder set in NW angle of house. The E gable end has a loft-door opening, now glazed, below which is a small window. This has been reinstated after being blocked by an outside staircase, now removed. Rear entrance into E unit with window to its L. Beyond these is a large gabled extension in similar style to main range with a stone end stack and skylights.
The front entrance, originally at the E end of the building, is in front of the chimney. Massive fireplace, which is said to have had a domed bread-oven, with fireplace stairs against the rear wall. The rear wall has been rebuilt along with the stairs and no bread oven is visible. Small niche in L jamb of fireplace. A box-framed partition divides the hall from the outer service rooms to the W. There were originally doorways to either end, but that to the R is now blocked. The outer rooms now form the kitchen, with large chamfered spine beam which sits on a vertical chamfered beam at the E end (probably reset); stone flagged floor. The added E room has a small fireplace (backing onto the hall fireplace), a spine beam with shallow chamfer, and a boarded late C20 ceiling.
Box-framed partition continues to attic storey, the truss with central doorway under collar.
Listed as a vernacular sub-medieval farmhouse characteristic of this region. Group value with farm building at right angles.
Other nearby listed buildings