This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7863 / 51°47'10"N
Longitude: -2.9119 / 2°54'42"W
OS Eastings: 337197
OS Northings: 210132
OS Grid: SO371101
Mapcode National: GBR FB.YLB9
Mapcode Global: VH79G.GCZG
Entry Name: Gatehouse at Llanarth Court
Listing Date: 3 January 1995
Last Amended: 15 March 2000
Source ID: 15661
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated about 1km SSW of Llanarth village, at entrance to W drive of Llanarth Court.
Community: Llanarth (Llan-arth)
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Victorian Gothic gatehouse to Llanarth Court built 1863 for the Herbert family, architect unknown, perhaps the firm of Habershon which had refronted Llanarth Court in 1849.
Gateway and lodge to Llanarth Court. Polychrome stonework with bands of coursed brown stone between broader bands of crazed grey and pink rubble stone. Ornate banded slate roofs with fishcale slate courses. Gothic style with gatehouse to left of low plain lodge wing. Gatehouse has tall French pavilion roof, square, bell-cast in profile, with carved stone anmal corbels at angles, Gothic floral cast-iron cresting on top and a thin painted timber lancet dormer, steeply gabled to front. First floor 3-light window with hoodmould and broad moulded sill carried outward each side to carved stop. Ground floor broad segmental-pointed through-arch with hoodmould and carved head stops. Stone voussoirs over and wooden gates with pierced upper panels of floral ironwork. Cruciform arrow slots flank gateway. To left of gateway a big two-step buttress, continuous with main front, screens a small lean-to with segmental pointed door and fishscale slates. Banded stone low wall continues to left. Slight buttress to right of gateway. Stone slab and cobbled roadway within gateway, segmental pointed doorway to left.
Single-storey lodge set back to right has stone square chimney on ridge, and two windows, one 3-light, and one 2-light, each with hoodmould; stepped buttress to right.
To rear, gatehouse is similar to front but with heraldic stops to hoodmould and cusped lancet window each side. Lodge has rear wing with coped gable, iron finial and stone shallow bay window with carved stone floral and animal corbels and sloping ashlar roof. In gable a quatrefoil plaque in pointed recess with date 1863. N side has single-light window, E side of main range has one 2-light window.
Interior modernised as offices for Llanarth Court.
Listed as high-quality, well-preserved example of a High Victorian entrance gate-lodge.
Other nearby listed buildings