History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pit Farm Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanarth, Monmouthshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7833 / 51°46'59"N

Longitude: -2.9111 / 2°54'40"W

OS Eastings: 337244

OS Northings: 209795

OS Grid: SO372097

Mapcode National: GBR FB.YSLG

Mapcode Global: VH79G.HFCS

Plus Code: 9C3VQ3MQ+8H

Entry Name: Pit Farm Cottage

Listing Date: 9 January 1956

Last Amended: 28 October 2004

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 1973

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Situated on W side of road running S from The Pitt village.

County: Monmouthshire

Community: Llanarth (Llan-arth)

Community: Llanarth

Locality: The Pitt

Traditional County: Monmouthshire

Find accommodation in
Bryngwyn

History

Small house, with datestone of 1737 referring to the original building date. Presumably originally a small farm or small-holding, and marked on the 1845 Tithe map as owned by Williams Jones of Clytha, occupied by James Price, with 20 acres (8.1 hectares). The house was extensively remodelled by the Llanarth estate, probably in the early C20.

Exterior

Small house; 2 storeyed, 2-unit plan. Roughcast render and slate roof with small brick end-wall stacks. South elevation has near-central door beneath modern lean-to porch, flanked by renewed 3-light small-paned casement windows on each floor; datestone of 1737 with initials I and C.M. (probably re-sited). North elevation has the more distinctive simple arts and crafts detail associated with the Llanarth estate, and has central doorway flanked by 2-light casement windows, with 3 similar windows above.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a small farmhouse of C18 origins, remodelled later in the arts and crafts style of the Llanarth estate, and retaining character as a small estate house.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Pit Cottages
    At the southern edge of the hamlet of Pit, on the right-hand side of the lane that leads south from Pit towards Clytha.
  • II Ty'r Nant
    Situated in own grounds just SW of entrance gatehouse to Llanarth Court, on E side of junction of road from The Pitt hamlet with Llanarth road.
  • II Gatehouse at Llanarth Court
    Situated about 1km SSW of Llanarth village, at entrance to W drive of Llanarth Court.
  • II Pit House
    Situated down drive running N off Llanarth to Abergavenny road some 100m W of the turning into Pitt village.
  • II* Little Pitt Cottage
    Situated on N side of road from Llanarth to old A40 about 300m W of The Pitt village.
  • II Huntsman's Cottage
    South of main hamlet of Pit, to W of minor road immediately to N of A 40.
  • II* Chapel Farmhouse and attached outbuilding
    Situated to N of Clytha Park mansion, reached via drive from Huntsman's Cottage, Pitt, or from drive past the mansion.
  • II Walled garden at Clytha Park
    Situated some 200m NE of Clytha Park to left of track to Chapel Farm

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.