This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9767 / 52°58'35"N
Longitude: -3.0302 / 3°1'48"W
OS Eastings: 330921
OS Northings: 342641
OS Grid: SJ309426
Mapcode National: GBR 74.JGFV
Mapcode Global: WH89B.FF8W
Entry Name: Stable block at Wynnstay Hall
Listing Date: 9 June 1952
Last Amended: 22 February 1995
Source ID: 15736
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated immediately to N of Wynnstay Hall.
Community: Ruabon (Rhiwabon)
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Stable Block to Wynnstay Hall, built in two phases. The first designed and built by Francis and William Smith of Warwick in 1738. The Wynnstay disbursments note that the Smith's received a sum of ú370 payment for their work on the Stables. In 1845-47 a fourth side to the stable courtyard was added to the designs of George Tattersall. The work was carried out by William Cubitt, for which he was paid ú700. The stables were converted in the late C20 for use by a school.
The symmetrical 2-storey, 7-bay, main western elevation of the original Smith stables is of sandstone ashlar with quoins and string course at first floor level; renewed slate roof. Central 3-bays are advanced and pedimented, surmounted by a bell-cupola and weather vane. Modern small-paned glazing in original openings, those to ground floor have Gibbs surrounds as does the central doorway and those to the upper storey have deep architraves. 9-bay left hand return elevation has central carriage arch now partially infilled with a modern door. Similar window surrounds. 2-storey, 3-bay extension to far left part of 1845-47 extension with further rusticated quoins and Gibbs surrounds to ground floor; projecting string course at first floor level. Similar 5-bay right hand return elevation. 1 -storey
9-bay rear elevation with full-length moulded stone string course. Central pedimented entrance bay rises through the full height of the building and the carriage arch has a Gibbs surround with a carved console keystone detail. This leads to a recessed porch enclosing three doorways. 2-symmetrically placed single bay end blocks containing doorways set slightly back from the main facade. Mostly sash glazing with similar surrounds. Internal courtyard has altered red brick elevations brick and the interiors have also been substantially altered although the clock tower workings date from C19.
Listed as the main surviving structure dating from the early eighteenth building phase at Wynnstay.
Group value with Wynnstay Hall and associated listed items.
Other nearby listed buildings