History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stable Building at Ystumcolwyn Farm

A Grade II Listed Building in Meifod, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7386 / 52°44'18"N

Longitude: -3.2007 / 3°12'2"W

OS Eastings: 319030

OS Northings: 316340

OS Grid: SJ190163

Mapcode National: GBR 9Y.0DNK

Mapcode Global: WH798.TF1C

Entry Name: Stable Building at Ystumcolwyn Farm

Listing Date: 26 May 1995

Last Amended: 26 May 1995

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 15993

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Located on the N side of the farmhouse, in line and W of the brewhouse block.

County: Powys

Community: Meifod

Community: Meifod

Locality: Ystumcolwyn

Traditional County: Montgomeryshire

Find accommodation in
Llanfyllin

History

The Ystumcolwyn property was in possession of Lumley Williames, who in 1703 married a kinsman, Arthur Williames of Cochwillan, Gwynedd. The property descended through their son Edward to his daughter Ann who married Howell Vaughan, whose descendant was Sir Robert Williames Vaughan. The stable building and the brewhouse range bear the initials of Arthur and Meriel William(e)s of Ystumcolwyn. A timber beam, reset in a later building in the farmyard, has the inscription IW 1680 MW.

Exterior

Stable range of 1721. Local red brick in an irregular Flemish bond, and hipped slate roof. Stone rear wall. Two storey with a rear wing on the NW side also with a hipped roof.

Mid wall 3-course brick plat band, stepped up over the central opening, which has a parabolic brick arch on slightly raised brick springings. Above, an inscribed sandstone moulded and fielded panel reading W / A M / 1721. Square 2-light windows on first floor with flat brick arch, now mostly blocked and rendered. Ground floor has window-door-window to either side of central arch, the doors with later frames and overlights, and the windows tall, with rubbed brick arches. Inner openings blocked. Oak cyma-moulded cornice. Plat band continues around the W gable end, which has 3 blocked window openings on each floor. E gable has an external stair to the central door of the upper floor, set on a substructure of stone.

Interior

Altered. Cross beams to stable in E bay. W bay now fertiliser store.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a high quality early C18 brick farm building of group value with the Brewhouse range.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.