This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.7619 / 52°45'42"N
Longitude: -3.837 / 3°50'13"W
OS Eastings: 276140
OS Northings: 319832
OS Grid: SH761198
Mapcode National: GBR 62.Z4FJ
Mapcode Global: WH67N.1V42
Plus Code: 9C4RQ567+P6
Entry Name: Bryn Teg
Listing Date: 26 May 1995
Last Amended: 26 May 1995
Source ID: 16032
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located 2km NW of Brithdir village and one-and-a-half kms SW of Bont Newydd; at right-angles with the main road.
Community: Brithdir and Llanfachreth (Brithdir a Llanfachreth)
Community: Brithdir and Llanfachreth
Locality: Bont Newydd
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Dated 1839; 2 estate cottages to the former Nannau estate, built by Sir Robert Williames Vaughan Bart., as part of his great building campaign in the second quarter C19. (Apparently the published sketches of P.F Robinson, architect of London formed the basis of many of the estate lodges and cottages at Nannau).
2 opposing cottage units ingeniously planned as inter-locking 'L's and therby giving the impression of one rectangular house; in Tudor vernacular style. Rubble construction on 2 floors with old slate roof and 2 tall central stacks; cornice, capping and weather coursing . Symmetrical main elevations each with central entrances. Storeyed and gabled porch to W side (No 1) with octagonal flanking corner turrets in early C16 manner. Modern door with returned label over; modern flanking windows with labels to those to the ground and first-floor centre. The upper windows slightly break the eaves and are contained within gabled kneelers; modern glazing and slated bargeboards. No 2 (facing E) has a plain gabled storeyed porch with original 3 light mullioned and transomed wooden windows to both floors, save that to ground-floor R which is modern. Returned labels as before with decorative leaded lozenges surviving in several upper lights. The entrance is now a window and a modern porch extension abuts to the front R-hand bay. On the N gable end the date 1839 and the initials RW V AM in knapped slates.
Low contemporary service blocks to R and L, again shared, and with hipped slate roofs. Boarded doors to both E and W sides; modern extension to the N.
Listed notwithstanding modernisation as an ingeniously planned pair of 1839 estate cottages. One of a group of unusually varied estate buildings for the period.
Other nearby listed buildings