This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5815 / 51°34'53"N
Longitude: -2.8046 / 2°48'16"W
OS Eastings: 344343
OS Northings: 187271
OS Grid: ST443872
Mapcode National: GBR JF.CR6L
Mapcode Global: VH7BH.BHNY
Entry Name: Great House Farmhouse including attached range of farm buildings
Listing Date: 31 May 1995
Last Amended: 31 May 1995
Source ID: 16070
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated in east of community just south of railway.
Community: Magor with Undy (Magwyr gyda Gwndy)
Community: Magor with Undy
Built-Up Area: Undy
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Probably originally late C17 farmhouse of single depths extended, refurbished, refenestrated and with roof pitch altered early C19. Appears on Ordnance Survey Map of 1830 as Undy Farm.
2-storey, 3-window rubble front with red-brick dressing, to ground floor and distinctive voussoirs to blocked attic openings. Rear outshut under catslide roof. Roman tile roof with brick end stacks. Segmental headed 6-pane sashes with sills under stone arches on first floor and brick on ground. Central C20 porch in front of wide planked double layered heavily studded door with HL hinges, heavy lock, inserted light. The blocked attic openings are a central roundel (partly obscured) flanked by semi-circular headed windows.
Attached to right mostly stone outbuilding range into which kitchen has been extended with former cheese loft above; continuous Roman tile roof extends over barn which appears as separate on 1830 OS map. Ventilation slits, opposing double doors with gabled porch to rear; flagstone threshing floor; pitching door in gable end and hayloft to right. Simple tied trusses with single row of purlins staggered at principals. Stepped down to left stable with cobbled floors, mangers, hayloft and cow-shed beyond.
Of the primary building two rooms are retained with central hall and enclosed staircase, fluted door surrounds; shallow chamfered and stopped cross beams; no old fireplaces visible; simple light pegged trusses to roof. Rear outshut has much C19 panelling.
Listed as a prominent local building for the combination of surviving C17 and early C19 fabric.
Other nearby listed buildings