This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0329 / 52°1'58"N
Longitude: -3.1212 / 3°7'16"W
OS Eastings: 323181
OS Northings: 237758
OS Grid: SO231377
Mapcode National: GBR F1.G2FN
Mapcode Global: VH6BQ.V59F
Entry Name: Cwmcoynant Farmhouse
Listing Date: 20 June 1995
Last Amended: 20 June 1995
Source ID: 16112
Building Class: Domestic
Location: The farmhouse is situated at the end of a private track on the N edge of the Black Mountains.
Locality: Hay Common
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
The house dates from the 16th century and was built as a long-house, aligned down the slope. Its hall was originally open to the roof, and partitioned from the inner room with planks & muntins, chamfered to the hall. The ceiling at the upper end rests on stop-chamfered joists. Below the cross-passage is the byre, with its external door and floor with a paved drain leading out of it. The byre's upper room, reached only by ladder, has a gable-end window. In the late 17th century the hall was floored and stairs built beside the chimney. In the present century most of the doors and windows have been refitted, and the upper storey of the original hall remodelled. Until recently the roof was all stone-covered. It remains comparatively unmodernised.
Pebbledashed stone, stone-slate & corrugated iron roof, 1 storey with semi-attics; windows fitted with wood or metal casements & sash frames. W: byre entry original, stop-chamfered jambs & segmental-arched head, stone label; upper part of old/original plank door, mended; main entry partly blocked, 5'7" wide originally, stone label; old dormer window over, slate roof; hall window stone label; other windows modern. Old stone chimneys rendered. N: good original gable-window, 5-light, square mullions diagonally, stone lintel. E: byre entry as before, later plank door; stair-light small, square, stone label; another window with label. Lean-to shed to S, rendered, corrugated asbestos roof, C19. Addition across N end, stone below concrete blocks, corrugated iron roof.
Original hall, stone floor, chamfered ceiling beam, C19 plank door; door at base of stairs c.1700, planks, arched head. Inner room subdivided; has deep-chamfered joists & ceiling beam; plank & muntin partition plain, papered over, original doorway with segmental head. Cross-passage with stone floor, stop-chamfered joists, doorframe as last. Lower bay, cobbled floor, plain ceiling timbers. Above, head of stairs has chamfered post & turned finial, 1700. Roof largely original, heavy purlins. Truss between upper bays has tiebeam & collar, plank & muntin partition with blocked door. Original fireplace over byre, arched wooden head.
The building is a fine C16 long-house with many original features, including the fireplace and window over the byre.
Other nearby listed buildings